Rabbit control

Guest northernthunder

Guest northernthunder

Hi all.Looking for some advice.My friend owns a large farm which is infested with rabbits. To remedy this problem I am thinking of using ferrets to clear the burrows.

I have heard a male ferret is best for this as the smell from a male ferret is stronger than that of a female,and will keep the burrows rabbit free for longer.

Would this be the case? Any other suggestions of keeping fields clear,are most welcome.

My friend does not want dogs on his fields due to neighbouring livestock.

Cheers in advance.

NT :rolleyes:"The world is full of urban myths", :rolleyes: I'd apply a bit of common in this case. Ferret out all the burrows thoroughly using Hobs or Jills, then lightly plug all of them up with soil. If they are then reused you should then see where they are to be Ferreted again. Obviously I don't know how big your mates farm is and how much time you have on your hands, buy I would try this method first.

Also you mentioned about neighbouring livestock and not being able to use dogs, aren't the stock fenced off from your Farmer mates land? Do you not have/know anyone with steady enough dogs to get on there and show your Farmer mate he has nothing to worry about, that the dogs won't slip a fence and go after his neighbours stock whilst out Lamping/Ferreting? :angel:

Getting back to your original question of Hob's carrying a greater musk about them than Jills :sick: , yes they do, but in the scheme of things after a couple of days, whether you use Hobs or Jills, mister drummer will be back in his nice cosy burrow once the musk has worn off, that is if you haven't missed him on your hunting foray.

Another thought I've just had is you could use "Renadine" on the burrows, I don't know if it is still legal, I'm told the stink will move almost anything out, but this could also be an "urban myth." I'm not sure about the last bit of advice I've never used it, maybe someone else has some thoughts on the subject?

Anyway hope I've helped, and for future reference take most things you hear with a pinch of salt and apply a bit of common. All the best and good hunting :good:

Guest LEARNER

WHAT I WOULD ADD, IS IF THE RABBITS ON YOUR PLACE ARE LIKE THE ONE,S I FERRET UP NORTH, THEN THE HOBS MAY SUIT YOU BETTER, THEY CAN GO A LOT LONGER, AND ARE NOT DRAGGED SO MUCH AROUND THE TUNNELS.