Out For The 1St

Well finished work at 1am and home for 1.30 and a couple of hours kip then up again at 4.30,quick cuppa and slice of toast and my 2 shooting mates arrived in my yard.We loaded up the lab and the gun and headed to our destination which is a fairly big lake about 12-14 mile from us.We arrived there about 5.30 and made our way to where we were hoping to get some shooting.We were only there about 10min when a boat came up the lake and decided to park up right out in front of us at the back of the rushes so nothing we could do but hope some ducks would come our way.We had not to wait long before the shooting started down along the lake and ducks could be seen and heard flying all over the place but none coming our derection,the lads on the boat were geting good shooting from what we could make out.We decided to move a bit but we then had little or no cover and it was light at this stage and most of the mornings flight had finished.I hid myself as best i could behind a small whitethorn bush and after about 15min i seen a lone duck coming right up along the shore towards me,it came and just when it was in range decided to swing out for the open water but it did not reach it as i folded it with my 1st shot and it fell a long way out behind the rushes so the lab bitch [NELL] had her work cut out to retrieve it.I knew it was dead by the way it fell so chances were she would get it,about 60 yards of rush between her and the duck but she disappeared and after a few min i could hear her snorting coming through the rush so knew she had it,good retrieve from the old bitch on her 1st outing this season,her daughter is 9months and will soon be started aswell.We finished up and headed for home and on the way back walked in on a big pool and managed to shoot 2 more mallard for the morning so at least we all got a bit af shooting,back in to work at 4pm until 1am again,probably be asleep on the job,lol.

• Like 3