skinny llewellin

well lads. i have a lovely 6 month old llewellin setter and she is and is going to be a dinger!! she's out with me every weekend rough shooting (i take her along with her father) and she's had loads of shots fired over her and she's not a tad bit shy. she also set her first bird last sunday.

the only problem is she's a bit skinny. i was up showing her to the breeder the other day and he thinks the same. im feeding her dry food everyday but what would you dog men recomend feeeding her to build her up.

I'l take a few pics tonite and post them up for ye.

cheers

stephen

well lads. i have a lovely 6 month old llewellin setter and she is and is going to be a dinger!! she's out with me every weekend rough shooting (i take her along with her father) and she's had loads of shots fired over her and she's not a tad bit shy. she also set her first bird last sunday.

the only problem is she's a bit skinny. i was up showing her to the breeder the other day and he thinks the same. im feeding her dry food everyday but what would you dog men recomend feeeding her to build her up.

I'l take a few pics tonite and post them up for ye.

cheers

stephen

Shes had loads of shots over at six month ..shes still a pup ..done all the training .??

She been wormed? .what percentage of protien food she on?? ..how many times she fed a day..how much exercise she getting..? Whats her coat likel is it shiny glossy?R u feeding the same food as the father?All these have a bearing.Have you thought you may be doing a tad too much much too soon?

If you think the answer is no then ....

The best thing for getting her too put weight on Green tripe..

Edited by k9wpg

no to be honest i dont think im doing too much with her. i watched my grandfather raise springer pups for years and he alwaya had them out with ;him as soon as they where a few months old. in my opinion thats what makes a good dog. in fairness she's not gun shy and her confidence is already through the roof and thats half the battle of having a great dog. i see other people there keeping a dog for 18 months and tip toeing around it and firing cap guns in the air and all the rest, but at the end of the day the pup being out with its father watching him work and seeing birds being shot and enjoying it is the best schooling a young pup can ever have. dont forget in ireland we basically only rough shoot pheasents, grouse and snipe. there are very few driven shoots.

she's been wormed twice and iv changed her diet last night from dry food to high protein puppy food, along with bread milk and cooked mince and a tablet of cod liver oil. i hope this puts up the weight on her a little.

Edited by stevoman
Guest missymoo

no to be honest i dont think im doing too much with her. i watched my grandfather raise springer pups for years and he alwaya had them out with ;him as soon as they where a few months old. in my opinion thats what makes a good dog. in fairness she's not gun shy and her confidence is already through the roof and thats half the battle of having a great dog. i see other people there keeping a dog for 18 months and tip toeing around it and firing cap guns in the air and all the rest, but at the end of the day the pup being out with its father watching him work and seeing birds being shot and enjoying it is the best schooling a young pup can ever have. dont forget in ireland we basically only rough shoot pheasents, grouse and snipe. there are very few driven shoots.

she's been wormed twice and iv changed her diet last night from dry food to high protein puppy food, along with bread milk and cooked mince and a tablet of cod liver oil. i hope this puts up the weight on her a little.

I would reccomend goats milk better imo than cows milk

As for shooting over 6mth old dog of any breed I am not going there :doh:

Nicola

whats the problom with taking out a 6 month old onece she's with her father to learn off. i have watched my grandfather for years take his dogs out as pups wih older dogs and he always produced top class workers. everywhere i go the dog goes too. dont forget as i said we rough shoot here in ireland.

people can think im mad if they like but working these dogs like this hasnt failed any of the dogs yet.

As for shooting over 6mth old dog of any breed I am not going there :doh:

Nicola

whats the problom with taking out a 6 month old onece she's with her father to learn off. i have watched my grandfather for years take his dogs out as pups wih older dogs and he always produced top class workers. everywhere i go the dog goes too. dont forget as i said we rough shoot here in ireland.

people can think im mad if they like but working these dogs like this hasnt failed any of the dogs yet.

Well you have been lucky mate ,Many a good dog ruined to early steadyness gunshy and health problems later on as they aint stopped growing yet..If they see to much too young does make them a bit hot and Ive been that worn the tee shirt .But its your dog mate. so enjoy.

Also very high protien food can have the opposite effect of putting wieght condition on.It can act like an acceclerant for the metabolic rate, making them more hyper plus sometimes it can straight through them .I always give me younsters tripe and skineers and every other day a tin of sardines in oil for coat teeth and digestion.Barf diet like Skycat mentioned is becoming more popular and gets results but I dont use it ,you just got to find what works for you and dog put please no cows milk

Edited by k9wpg