working to the gun

hi to you all,just got myself a cracking little pup for bushing etc would also like to work her to the gun.obviously ill start with .410 12b probably bit much for first time training any advice on starting out would be great.should i move away from dog certain distance crack one off then move closer, if so how far and how often ,over what period of time ect.any help appreciated : :thumbs:

hi to you all,just got myself a cracking little pup for bushing etc would also like to work her to the gun.obviously ill start with .410 12b probably bit much for first time training any advice on starting out would be great.should i move away from dog certain distance crack one off then move closer, if so how far and how often ,over what period of time ect.any help appreciated : :thumbs:

How olds the pup?

3 months old

Please don't tell me you're seriously thinking of firing a gu over a 3mth old up........ :thumbdown: ???? let the pup be exactly that a pup, take it out to places and see people and other dogs, encounter livestock etc... then worry about the gun training when the wee pup is a part trained dog, what do you think you can gai by firing a gun for a pup ?

Nicola

3 months old

Please don't tell me you're seriously thinking of firing a gu over a 3mth old up........ :thumbdown: ???? let the pup be exactly that a pup, take it out to places and see people and other dogs, encounter livestock etc... then worry about the gun training when the wee pup is a part trained dog, what do you think you can gai by firing a gun for a pup ?

Nicola

no im not gonna shoot over a pup im looking for future advice not a lesson in sucking eggs over my dog management thanks anyway pups should allways be allowed to be pups any responsible dog owner should know that any gun dog training book recomendation would be great

3 months old

Nicola

no im not gonna shoot over a pup im looking for future advice not a lesson in sucking eggs over my dog management thanks anyway pups should allways be allowed to be pups any responsible dog owner should know that any gun dog training book recomendation would be great

well reading your original post it does look like your asking how to go about it ie shootin over it? You should assess the dog by making noise by the pup.. drop metal food bowl by it get it used to noise..as for dog books Irving or Moxton ...but look on previous threads on here..

3 months old

Nicola

Maybe your post should have bee a bit clearer then as it definately read like your looking at shooting over it now, so apologies if I read it that way, gundog books I would agree with k9wpg, irvine and moxon are 2 good examples,

Nicola

3 months old

Nicola

Maybe your post should have bee a bit clearer then as it definately read like your looking at shooting over it now, so apologies if I read it that way, gundog books I would agree with k9wpg, irvine and moxon are 2 good examples,

Nicola

sorry guys new to this need to be bit clearer point taken thanks for book titles ill look into them only ever had lurchers befor so looking forward to whole new expieriance(slow and steady wins the race) :thumbs:

3 months old

Nicola

Nicola

sorry guys new to this need to be bit clearer point taken thanks for book titles ill look into them only ever had lurchers befor so looking forward to whole new expieriance(slow and steady wins the race) :thumbs:

No worris, there are some v good dvd's too, likes of eddie martin and hawcroft undogs both do cocker videos, slow and steady I agree ;) any pics of the new addition ?

Nicola