winter chub pike and perch.

Hi, anyone know of any good rivers for winter chub fishing in Kent? I'm more of a sea angler than freshwater but willing to give it a go seeing I now live up here. Whats the best baits and rigs? Being the fussy git I am a swim that was easy to get to with safe parking would be great. All the best.

well don't know to go about this really well baits and rigs wise it depends on where you go i.e the weight of the lead or feeder if to light it will just float away. you will also need a speiceilist rod guesting you dont have one and you will need to different setup for chub to perch and pike. i am not really fished for pike so cant give you any tips but reguarding chub and perch i suggest a heavy enough lead for the conditions and fish with worm and sweetcorn cocktail. you can also flavor the sweetcorn

to make it more attractive for the fish so i would use predator plus flavoring this might also help you http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/index...mp;#entry319036

all the best :thumbs:

I cant help you on location but this might be of use.

Chub -The rig i would proberly use is a hair rig and baits would be boilies, luncheon meat, sweetcorn, pellets, maggots and big fresh worms.

Pike -What you need is 2 treble hooks on 2ft of wire trace (Not line as they will bite through it)baits any thing fishy like makerel, bluey, lamprey,

sprats. Also dead or alive roach or you could always use a spinner or lure for them.

Hope this helps AG.

chub and the pike will readily take lures! ive had some memorable chub on floating plugs! lures are good fun as yer mobile and can hunt the fish much as a fly fisher would.

as for bait,by far the finest bait i have found for chub is crayfish tails! cooked or raw,its a dead cirt killer! and as for pike its hard to beat a live or dead goldfish!

what ever you do good luck and have fun! :)

Chub - liquidised bread and crushed hemp in a cage feeder with flake on the hook - dont be shy to put a decent lump on (if water coloured just flavour it)

Perch - Lob lob lob

Pike - why bother?

Simple link or running ledger, tight (real) up to features for Perch, Chub will be stacked up so keep moving until you find them.

The forecast looks real good for monday. I might pop out myself.

Tabs

I cant help you on location but this might be of use.

Chub -The rig i would proberly use is a hair rig and baits would be boilies, luncheon meat, sweetcorn, pellets, maggots and big fresh worms.

Pike -What you need is 2 treble hooks on 2ft of wire trace (Not line as they will bite through it)baits any thing fishy like makerel, bluey, lamprey,

sprats. Also dead or alive roach or you could always use a spinner or lure for them.

Hope this helps AG.

should that read prat not sprats

where abouts in kent are you?

try the river mesway for pike and perch

pike are in most rivers i find dead baits or stationary live baits work best this time of year as the water is cold and the pike like a free meal.

perch maggots/ worms small fish or fish peaces

pike makrel,fresh water fish, lampray,sprats,sardines

chub worms, casters,bread,trout pellets,maggots,lunchon meat,sweetcorn,boilie,small fish and fish peaces,liver

Edited by fergie
hey fergie yer forgetting eel section! thats a killer for pike!

also worthy of trying for pike is the fish 'keebab'1hair rig a small piece of each of eel,lamprey,mackerel and trout.

Very true but unless you catch the eels yourself there not always available to buy in the shops. I'M a Yorkshire man living in Kent ant I personally don't think the tackle shops in Kent are as good as my old ones in the north

Just my views its more carp orientated

know what you mean,all the tackle shops are geared up for those glorified campers !!!!! shame realy i remember when the tackle shop didnt smell of boilies and actually sold stuff you needed,when was the last time you saw float making stuff in a tackle shop or yarn for making yer own nets?!!! :hmm:

know what you mean,all the tackle shops are geared up for those glorified campers !!!!! shame realy i remember when the tackle shop didnt smell of boilies and actually sold stuff you needed,when was the last time you saw float making stuff in a tackle shop or yarn for making yer own nets?!!! :hmm:

I can't rember mate but the nets is due to not being aloud any knots in the the net

mate for pike try maidstone town center (im actually not joking)

there are two road bridges near the town center very close to each other

fish inbetween these with a mackeral cone (cut tail off and fins and head your then left with a cone)

ledger it there are some very nice pike there

and its free fishing (you still need a rod licence though)