Ouestion about bull crosses?

Guest lamper84

Guest lamper84

do bullcrosses have the same level of intelligence of collie cross lurchers?

i really want to get one very soon however some peoplei have talked to, saythey could be hard to train.?

any advice would be gratefully accepted

lamper

how many bulls do you see working sheep and cattle .... how many bulls do you see winning obedience competitions ??? it is a well known fact that the collie is the most inteligent of all breeds ... so a bull cross cannot be compared to a collie cross for levels of inteligence .... that said there is no reason why you cant train a bull cross to a high level of field work .............

do bullcrosses have the same level of intelligence of collie cross lurchers?

i really want to get one very soon however some peoplei have talked to, saythey could be hard to train.?

any advice would be gratefully accepted

lamper

TO ANSWER UR QUESTION,NO COLLIE CROSSES ARE USUALLY QUITE INTELLIGENT,BUT ON THAT HAND SOMETIMES TOO INTELLIGENT,BULL CROSSES IN MY OPINION ARE EASY DOGS TOO TRAIN,U WOULDNT ASK HIM TO CROSS TWO MOTORWAYS A RAILWAY LINE SWIM ACROSS A LAKE TO STEAL A PHEASANT AND BRING IT BACK TO THE PUB U WERE AT!!! :D COS HED GET 20 YRDS AND KILL SOMEONES CAT!!! AND FORGET ABOUT THE WHOLE PHEASANT THING BUT WOULD YOU CALL THAT A BAD!!! I BE OK WITH IT!!!NEVER HAD A PROB WITH BULL CROSSES THEY WANNA PLEASE AS MUCH IF NOT MORE THAN MOST DOGS IN MY OPINION THATS THE BASE LINE FOR ANY TRAINING!!! :good:

Guest thunderbelly

The desire to please is breed into "bulls" when they were used for pit fighting one strategy was for the owner to stay in his dogs line of sight and encourage him. Stuburness (sp?) was also needed to win the fight.

Collies are independant thinkers and would add that to the mix.

which trate do you want/ can you deal with?

Guest CharlieC

I have found that both are intelligent and absorb training well, both are quick to learn and eager to please. But when you get out there in the field, the bull cross is more likely to give you a "deafie" or the famous rubber lug :11: :11: and when they get busy with something, there is no telling them, whereas a collie cross is more likely to respond and listen to you. If you can handle this, and dont require the dog to be ultra obedient then bull crosses are great. :good:

The decision is yours,but I would think what you want your dog to do,what quarry,would be the main factor in your choice a bit of lamping and ferreting rabbits is more collie territory IMHO if you want bigger things then a Bull type might be the choice.