Fox Box Trap Trigger Construction

Well my fur hungry brethren, I have a bit of a query which I am hoping some of those who have a great deal of experience in fox trapping can advise on.

I have a huge sheet of thick marine ply and mesh (fine but heavy duty) left from a terrier box I made and want to expand my knowledge to make a live fox trap for the lambing period.

I don't want my trap to have that long stick coming out the top as a fulcrum which many sites post but instead want something much more easily carried round the glens during lambing. Would anyone have good photos of a trap which they find successful but most of all have photos of the trigger mechanism. I have scoured this website and I seem to be going round in circles without finding a definitive live trap and mechanism which works.

I wont get into the difficulties of live trapping foxes as I could start a 5year long thread on that matter, but I have that one covered. I am in turf country so plan on entrenching the trap into the foot of a turf bank.

So basically a photo of a trap and mechanism if you have one to put up. Thanks.

Here's a design you might consider. The trigger mechanism is entirely inside so you can use it in a bank. Looking at the picture , the hinged end of the stay is on the red braket and the stay is mounted upside down. To to set you lift the door up and liftt the stay up so that the RH end latches on the peg. A tug on the cable pulls the stay off the peg. The bungees slam the door down and the door locks shut with a simple latch.

If you dont like the cable round the roller, then you could use a tilting treadle plate coupled to the stay with a rod or a cable. Then you could hang your bait from the roof of the cage.

If you prefer a drop door then you can use a short window stay latched into a peg in the door. When the stay is tugged from behind it comes off the peg and the door drops. Use a bungee to get a quick door response.

[/url]

You can make your own but it is easier to set if you use a swivel one like this.Use this type of stay upide doen so that it only needs a slight tug from cable to release. It the falls down inside the cage.
windowstay2_zpsn63plel6.jpg

Alternative type stay. This type of stay can be used upside down also
window%20stay_zps8hxuyscv.jpg

Edited by Tomdhu
  • Like 1