Sign in to follow this  
jamesc94

Retrieving Problems

I have a 5 month old deerhound x wheaten/greyhound pup and last night she caught a rabbit. Was a total accident on my part, I'd never seen a rabbit in that place and it was a myxi rabbit so didn't run particularly fast or far. It was the first rabbit she's ever seen. I wouldn't have considered entering her for another 7 months at least. This morning she went into a bush and came out with a nestling magpie. After both catches she decided the best thing would be to run away and eat it, totally ignoring the whistle and shouts. Ordinarily her recall is pretty good with the whistle and she is reasonable at retrieving a dummy. I honestly didn't expect to be having this problem so soon with everyone saying deerhound types are slow starters. Was I wrong to shout at her for ignoring me under these new and exciting circumstances? What would have been a better way of handling the situation? Do you think I can iron out the problem with more practice with dummies as she gets older?

Thanks

She's just too immature by sounds of it, if u stick to the game plan and wait another 7 month. Even wait until next season, good chance still she will retrieve to you.

As said above. Just keep doing what your doing and build a nice bond where dog wants to be with u all the time. Good luck.

Maybe get her retrieving fur n feather om a confined space like an alley way

have a high value treat for her when she returns back to you each time.ie hot dog cut up.if ur training at home try to have ur back against a wall preventing her from running around you.