DEER WITH 223 RIFLES

B.A.S.C. are saying that as from the 1st of october 2007 its ok to shoot muntjac and chinese water deer with thease rifles, I had a look on there web site and down loaded the actual act, has any one had this added to their cert, I ask because I had a long conversation with notts firearms dept today who were not very helpfull some one more senior will get back to me tomorow :hmm: bigrifle :big_boss:

2007 No. 2183

REGULATORY REFORM, ENGLAND AND WALES

ANIMALS, ENGLAND AND WALES

DEER

The Regulatory Reform (Deer) (England and Wales) Order 2007

(6) A person shall not be guilty of an offence under section 4(2)(a) above if he uses for the purpose of taking or killing or injuring any Chinese water deer (Hydropotes inermis) or muntjac deer (Muntiacus reevesi)—

(a) a rifle having a calibre of not less than .220 inches and a muzzle energy of not less than 1,356 joules (1000 foot pounds), and

(B) a soft-nosed or hollow-nosed bullet weighing not less than 3.24 grammes (50 grains).".

Came into force 1 October 2007.

The BUT is you cannot just shoot them, you have to have the variation on your ticket, but it is free IF they decide to let you. As with so many other things with regard your FAC you will have to show good reason and commonly with deer show some EXPERIENCE. There is nothing specifically in the firearms law about experience or DSC1 and deer, but the authorities are asking for it more and more. It is not necessarily a formality that you will get deer added to your FAC even if you already have the right calibre on your FAC.

Deker

Edited by Deker
2007 No. 2183

DEER

(6) A person shall not be guilty of an offence under section 4(2)(a) above if he uses for the purpose of taking or killing or injuring any Chinese water deer (Hydropotes inermis) or muntjac deer (Muntiacus reevesi)—

(a) a rifle having a calibre of not less than .220 inches and a muzzle energy of not less than 1,356 joules (1000 foot pounds), and

(B) a soft-nosed or hollow-nosed bullet weighing not less than 3.24 grammes (50 grains).".

The BUT is you cannot just shoot them, you have to have the variation on your ticket, but it is free IF they decide to let you. As with so many other things with regard your FAC you will have to show good reason and commonly with deer show some EXPERIENCE. There is nothing specifically in the firearms law about experience or DSC1 and deer, but the authorities are asking for it more and more. It is not necessarily a formality that you will get deer added to your FAC even if you already have the right calibre on your FAC.

Deker

Thats the whole point of my post getting the variation on my ticket, and you hit the nail on the head If they let you have it, my land is already cleared for Roe/and 308 caliber I just wanted to get the 223 covered for munjac so as to be legal. bigrifle :big_boss:

2007 No. 2183

DEER

Deker

Thats the whole point of my post getting the variation on my ticket, and you hit the nail on the head If they let you have it, my land is already cleared for Roe/and 308 caliber I just wanted to get the 223 covered for munjac so as to be legal. bigrifle :big_boss:

if you have only had the 223 a short time they would consider you inexperienceded and maybe not grant the condition.

2007 No. 2183

DEER

Deker

if you have only had the 223 a short time they would consider you inexperienceded and maybe not grant the condition.

I have an open ticket , have been shooting for many a year and have a 50 cal+ 338 lap mag and to many smaller rifles to boot ,so thats not the issue the issue is what forces are implementing the new guidelines,and who are draging their heels. bigrifle :big_boss:

I have an open ticket , have been shooting for many a year and have a 50 cal+ 338 lap mag and to many smaller rifles to boot ,so thats not the issue the issue is what forces are implementing the new guidelines,and who are draging their heels. bigrifle

I obviously do not know your individual situation and with regards your .50 Cal (What game is that licenced for on your ticket in this country) or .338. You may have an Open ticket but that is nothing to do with deer or deer experience.....there are plenty of people with an Open ticket but no mention of deer on them.....if you do not have deer listed for any tools you will have to show experience or need or both, thats the way they seem to look at it these days. If you already have calibres approved for deer, especially if they are on an Open ticket you should not have any problem showing a case for the smaller deer on the smaller calibre.

• 1 month later...

Things have changed a bit since this thread started.....

As reported in the latest BASC magazine.....

The Police have been swamped with variation requests to add CWD and Muntjac to appropriate calibres.

So..ACPO have just issued guidance to save all the admin...if you have Fox and vermin on your FAC and your rifle meets the legal requirement you can now automatically shoot the 2 smaller deer.

The exemption will run for up to 5 years and each case will then be assessed at renewal or variation, when a decision will be made as to the certificate holders continued good reason to shoot these species of deer.

Deker

Things have changed a bit since this thread started.....

As reported in the latest BASC magazine.....

The Police have been swamped with variation requests to add CWD and Muntjac to appropriate calibres.

So..ACPO have just issued guidance to save all the admin...if you have Fox and vermin on your FAC and your rifle meets the legal requirement you can now automatically shoot the 2 smaller deer.

The exemption will run for up to 5 years and each case will then be assessed at renewal or variation, when a decision will be made as to the certificate holders continued good reason to shoot these species of deer.

Deker

Yep this is the current situation. :yes: