Is anyone using these tabs on their dogs? Are they any good? It's a nightmare trying to get the spot on stuff to the skin on my beardie cross with his dense undercoat so I'm thinking these might be easier?

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't used them myself, but had a fair few animals in for vomiting after being given them - worrying for owner, and renders the medication useless. When they work, they seem to be fine for fleas but not much good for anything else. There are better things available with more efficiency and better tolerated, so they don't seem a great choice.

Could you spot shave a patch on the dogs back, between shoulder blades, or on belly where fur is less, and out the spot on there ? Just a suggestion - not all dogs will like/put up with that :)

Is anyone using these tabs on their dogs? Are they any good? It's a nightmare trying to get the spot on stuff to the skin on my beardie cross with his dense undercoat so I'm thinking these might be easier?

Cheers

I have had same trouble in past. I used to get needle and syringe and squirt front line exactly where I wanted it. Worked very well.
  • Like 1

I haven't used them myself, but had a fair few animals in for vomiting after being given them - worrying for owner, and renders the medication useless. When they work, they seem to be fine for fleas but not much good for anything else. There are better things available with more efficiency and better tolerated, so they don't seem a great choice.

Could you spot shave a patch on the dogs back, between shoulder blades, or on belly where fur is less, and out the spot on there ? Just a suggestion - not all dogs will like/put up with that :)

I'll try pulling a clump out next time. If it was put on the belly where it's bald it would run off wouldn't it?

Thanks for the tips though.

I do see what you mean - the drops are an oil based liquid, so they do stick to the skin better than water, so if you can persuade the dog to lie on her ( or his ! ) back and have the liquid put on, while laying down, and then keep the dog laying down for a few minutes, it will be fine, the oily liquid will stay put and not run off. I use a similar thing for the horses - clip a bit of fluff and pour it on, works ok.

In which case, an injectable version or tablets may be easier - not worth a massive fight if the dog isn't going to allow/accept/like it - its a case of pick your battles ! If you are unlikely to win, pick one you can win ! My chap spends half his life upside down on the dog bed, so pouring the stuff on bald belly is easy, but I have had others that need a muzzle and a jab in the neck.

Nexguard can be tablet version - that may be better. The same drug is in Bravecto - no real difference in use. Both are fine for collie based breeds.

Depends on the issue - you could use a generic wormer for the intestinal stuff, and a vit B tablet /supplement and garlic supplement for the tick side

• 3 weeks later...