How many acres is the land you have been offered? Is it well fenced an water supply with it? Is it rough ground or decent grass grazing? All these things will play a part in the price you pay. A rough guide you will be looking to pay around 50p a day per sheep (will be diffrent everywere).

50p a day per sheep?

50p cheap then??

You want to expand your flock into Gloucestershire BlackDog? For that price, I will even provide all the shepherding for you as well, although you must pay for drugs etc.

50p a day is £3.50 a week. That's f***ing extortion!

For sheep I'd pay no more than £60/acre per annum, or 75p per head per week.

That's the average around my locality for sheep. Cows are about a tenner more. Horses, well that becomes a monthly rate if you can include a water supply and some kind of shelter. So that's a bowser or IBC and a wagon back then.

Also, the tenant takes responsibility for the walls. This is more serious for housing cattle as they push against the walls or fences.

I think walling averages about £60 per yard but some wallers charge a day's rate.

It is handy if you can do your own but better if the tenant does it.

I still can't believe that renting land is so cheap. Especially when it can be £40K an acre to buy. Madness..

How many acres is the land you have been offered? Is it well fenced an water supply with it? Is it rough ground or decent grass grazing? All these things will play a part in the price you pay. A rough guide you will be looking to pay around 50p a day per sheep (will be diffrent everywere).

50p a day per sheep?

50p cheap then??

You want to expand your flock into Gloucestershire BlackDog? For that price, I will even provide all the shepherding for you as well, although you must pay for drugs etc.

50p a day is £3.50 a week. That's f***ing extortion!

For sheep I'd pay no more than £60/acre per annum, or 75p per head per week.

That's the average around my locality for sheep. Cows are about a tenner more. Horses, well that becomes a monthly rate if you can include a water supply and some kind of shelter. So that's a bowser or IBC and a wagon back then.

Also, the tenant takes responsibility for the walls. This is more serious for housing cattle as they push against the walls or fences.

I think walling averages about £60 per yard but some wallers charge a day's rate.

It is handy if you can do your own but better if the tenant does it.

I still can't believe that renting land is so cheap. Especially when it can be £40K an acre to buy. Madness..

It's because the value of land to buy is totally unrelated to its agricultural production potential, as it can be worth more for house building etc.

So what size flock do you need to make some sort of living??

There are a lot of variables (what kind of sheep, what you are selling fat lambs or breeding stock, where you are). But, if you are on rented ground (and therefore not propping up your business with subsidies) then 700 at least I would say. And even then it will be rough.

One of my sheep clients has 2500ish ewes. He seems to do quite well out of it.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...