would long net work?

Guest bigredbusa

Guest bigredbusa

now i've never done long netting and not quite sure if this right.

today i was shown a very large oak tree with about an easy 50- 70 holes around it , now instead of purse nets could a long net go right round the tree/holes ?

you could run a long net around the set to catch any bolters, but one problem you may have is when they decide to hop from one hole to another :wallbash: . your best bet would to lay a long net around, then depending on what sort of terrain the warrens are on would be to lay the remaining of that net if any between the holes. if none remaining then zig zag another long net.

laying 70 purse nets & picking them up would be time consuming... also it would be bit of a bollock ache to keep replacing them if they kept getting disturbed by the ferrets.

on a set that large i would probably put 4 or 5 ferrets down at once.

richie

now i've never done long netting and not quite sure if this right.

today i was shown a very large oak tree with about an easy 50- 70 holes around it , now instead of purse nets could a long net go right round the tree/holes ?

Personally speaking, I'd probably use a long net as you suggest. (I carry half a dozen pieces of cord about 4 ft long with a loop both ends, to act as guy ropes on corners, just hitch it to the peg and use a spare peg to tie it to)I'd probably use short 10 yard nets over the warren and purse up about 1 in 4 of the holes. If they start bolting and going down other holes you sometimes back net them if they don't get caught coming out. Lastly a word of warning, the digging could be terrible, so aim to finish early, or you could end up with the nightmare scenario of it getting dark and still ferrets working. Good luck. :thumbs:

me and magwitch regularly use 2 longnets to encircle a large tree/bush area thats impossible to purse net, if you can put another stop net across this circle then even better, as you do get lots coming up one hole, dissappearing down another within the longnets, purse netting a few is a good idea in the hope of backnetting, i would however say with this sort of set up, you need to be putting 4 or 5 ferts down at once, gets those bunnies panicking, using just 1 or 2, and its to easy for the rabbits to keep away, without leaving burrows

I'd cast a light over the bury at night and see just how many rabbits are using the burrow ,if theres loads i'd purse net up the holes then run a long net round it .if theres only a few just longnet it as it wouldn't be worth disturbing it putting purse nets down and if they did hole hop theres only a few rabbits anyway