Sparrow Hawks.

Lutra Lutra

Hello to all the good Falconers,

Just a short message of words regarding enquiries about anyone who has flown the Sparrow hawks. I would be extremely interested to hear if any Falconer has had any experience flying the (Muskets), and also if they had any success flying them at quarry. There was a Falconer called John Loft, an old school teacher at Louth in Lincolnshire. He was firm friends with the renowned falconer J.G.Mavrogordato.I have John Lofts 1st edition A Merlin For Me. Plus I have 1st editions of Mavro's A Hawk For A Bush and A Falcon In The Field, both exceedingly good books. Has anyone flown Blackbirds under licence with the Muskets.All information would be warmly received.

Regards. Lutra Lutra...

hey lutra lutra,

I know someone who's flown sparrow hawks, I can't remember if he said it was only females or if he flew both- he's definitely flown a couple of Sparrow hawks though!

I can ask next time I see him and ask any questions on your behalf?

I wish I could say I had flown them myself- hopefully one day!

Muttley

• Like 1

Hello Muttley,

Really it hasn't come as any surprise regarding the lack of response from members concerning Sparrow hawks, especially the Muskets. You and many others will be aware at how difficult they are to get going, due to the weight and how delicate they are. Their temperament can be so testing at times but to be honest the more difficult something provides myself with, the more I find satisfaction to produce admirable results. I flew a really good Musket approx 35 years ago now and obtained really good results; and he was a good (Blackbird) hawk. In the end he met his death after pursuing a Song Thrush, he unfortunately collided into a farmers barn window. I did manage to account for the total sum of 60 head of quarry in just 3 months of flying him. My life time has followed the Sparrow hawk in all their forms, i.e. both in Falconry and watching them in the wild.

I hope to hear of anyones exploits with this wonderful bird.

Edited by Lutra Lutra

Acci74, We sometimes flew the 2 Muskets together as a cast. They were brothers so sometimes at Blackbirds under license we had some good sport. He accounted for 35 Tree Sparrows when they were so much more common. He took hedge Sparrows also and approx 7 blacks and many other types of birds. At one stage he flew and bind to a little Owl and if I hadn't separated them it could have gone either way. I have many books and some good Falconry titles, plus books from The New Naturalist series and many Poyser books which are always worth a read. I collect books on the working terrier, and books on hounds and hunting . I have hundreds upon hundreds and I continue to collect. It becomes an obsession. Accipiter, I would like to hear more about the book you mentioned please.

Edited by Lutra Lutra
  • Like 1

Have you read the Ben Crane book yet Lutra?

Accip74, I haven't read the book is it any good?

I don't know, but I've read some of his articles in the past regarding his own experiences & he's quite a good writer. Tbh I've only just realised he's wrote a book...Sparrow hawks : A falconer guide. I'll probably order it myself soon.