An Hours Walk

After being at work for a few weeks i decided to visit a local permission which I hadn't been around for a while in my time off, the shooting of game birds was nearly finished so I thought I'd have a walk about.

Whilst heading down the track I noticed the old boy pottering about on his honda big red. He gave me the wave and I stopped to await his greeting "where have you been" he said jokingly.. I explained that I had been busy with work, the mrs and baby etc.. the usual craic.

On he went to tell me of a big dog fox he had seen kicking around and a vixen had been seen on the prowl as well, I could sense he was slightly nervy as he is due to lamb soon.

With the terriers already in the back of the truck we said our farewells and off we went to the yard and parked up the truck. This farm in paticular isn't a huge place but has around 10 earth's in a small valley so easy enough to get around.

Anyway I collard up my young dog and with the old bitch also on the couple we set off to see what was what.

Whilst walking to the first place a small two holer I could see that it was not being used and looked dead, the terriers confirmed this and on to the next one we went. A rangey place but not excessively deep, the young black dog giving a strong mark at a large entrance with fresh signs of use by old raynard was all the indication I needed. After a second pondering about heading back to get nets i decided to enter the young dog as I had the shotgun should we get a bolt which is the norm from this place. After 5 mins i flicked the bellman on and the dog was moving and after getting a mark at 2.8 fo a few minutes I thought we may be getting the shovels out. At that minute I turned to tie up the old bitch after getting her self in a frenzy and in the blink of an eye out shoots the big dog fox with the terrier in tow. No shots fired and no nets set, a silly mistake and the fox was away to live another day.. or so he thought. The young black dog went well, marking and working this spot which isn't easy and doing his job getting the bolt.

The next spot we checked was a one holer freshly kicked out and with the old bitch rearing to go giving a strong mark away she went, immediately heard her baying and sounded shallow. A quick flick of the bellman red brick had her at 1.0.. excellent a nice easy dig for a change! Got the bitch out and a nice healthy vixen dispatched with the gun.

Both dogs worked well, an ideal hours walk about on my door step.

On the way out we told the old farmer about the vixen and our mishap with the bolt, he asked me back up on the night and with the rifle the big dog fox that outsmarted us on the morning was flattend on the night thanks to my pals sharp shooting.

Not one for shooting them but needs must and one very happy farmer ensures that I have many years of sport on the same farm. Atb wez

• Like 4

Cheers Taz mate he's showing all the right signs, back out again tomorrow will let you know he we get on pal

:toast: excellent wezza glad the young dog is going the right way for ya mate :thumbs: you will have a get ya self down and ill take ya amongst them the next day your of

Got 2 bitches on heat and a dog that loves em both, howling and not eating.

Took him for a run this morning promised tobe home to take good lady out for lunch.

He went to a single hole in sand right next to a pheasent pen. Hearing him ticking away I marked him at 1.6m as he moved forward it made 2.3m in about a 2foot distance.

Couple of hours on my own, sorted it,the dog was going down hill to his game very sharpish then a rapid right turn. Proper struggle to climb out get the gun etc.

Sitting here now, I'm chuffed although I cussed like a good un at the spot, " that's what Sundays are for"

• Like 1

Now then Pud mate, that sounds spot on pal.. I'm away back to work Tuesday for a couple of weeks so will be when im back.. hope all is well pal, I'd like to see how that little bitch is coming on she's a topper

WES PUD HERE TERRIER SEEMS TO HAVE HAD A GOOD DAY GIS BELL AND I GET YOU UP FARM FOR FEW RATS MARRA.

PUD

Fair play mate you got the result, bet that wasn't easy by your self

Got 2 bitches on heat and a dog that loves em both, howling and not eating.

Took him for a run this morning promised tobe home to take good lady out for lunch.

He went to a single hole in sand right next to a pheasent pen. Hearing him ticking away I marked him at 1.6m as he moved forward it made 2.3m in about a 2foot distance.

Couple of hours on my own, sorted it,the dog was going down hill to his game very sharpish then a rapid right turn. Proper struggle to climb out get the gun etc.

Sitting here now, I'm chuffed although I cussed like a good un at the spot, " that's what Sundays are for"