Getting pup used to a cage ?

sorry if this has been asked, ive tried the search but didnt come up with anything specific.

Ive got a beddy/whippet pup, 8 weeks old and i want to get him used to living in a cage in the kitchen. ive tried him already and he whines all night, which i know is expected im just after some advice on the best approach to get him used to it.

Cheers.

Tire him out as much as you can before you put him in the crate, maybe put a chew in there with him to keep him occupied. Warm, comfortable bedding will help the pup settle, if its very young, a hot water bottle might also help.

If these suggestions dont work then every time it whines say "QUIET" and if it keeps on doing it and doesnt listen to your gruff tone, get a newspaper and slap it across the top of the crate saying "QUIET" at the same time. This should do the trick. Once the pups been quiet for ten mins go and give praise, a lot of people forget this bit they think they should just punish the pup for bad behaviour and they dont think to praise the good, you need to let the pup know that being quiet brings praise. Do this on and off for a while, praising the pup and then letting it settle down again, you could even give a command when you go to walk away and you want it to be quiet, "Settle down" or "bedtime" or whatever you want, you get the idea. If the pup does whine a little say "QUIET" again and see if the pup has learned, you should only need to do the paper slapping thing a couple of times for the pup to learn, and after that when you say "QUIET" it should stop whining pretty quickly. Once it starts to learn, leave the intervals between praise longer and longer so that you are not up and down every 10 mins. Eventually you will have a pup who goes in its crate and settles down for the night without any need for either telling offs, or praise, as its just become a routine to it :yes: Sorry if Ive not explained that well, its hard to type out what you mean on these bloody forums :doh::D

ETA I had this problem with my BT dog as I kept him in the house for a while and in the end I found the best thing was a Vin Deisel double bill video, the one with Pitch Black and XXX on it :laugh: Im not kidding, it did the business, before I went to bed I used to pop it on, turn the volume up and that was him off to sleep out like a light. Had to get up and put it back on a few times when the vid came to an end he would wake up and start howling, but soon he got into the habit of curling up and going to sleep as soon as I put it on - must have been all the car chases, explosions etc :laugh:

Edited by SJM
Guest Ditch_Shitter

Agree completely that Eight Weeks?!? :icon_eek: Bloody hell, mate; Babys cry! It's what they Do!

Try making his indoor kennel just that too. His own little room. Somewhere he feels safe, secure and at home. Ruler of his own little roost.

NEVER force Any Dog into one. Lure them in. Then, as SJM says; Make it a pleasent place to be. Give them treats and nice things. Feed the bugger in there.

I have a mature bitch here who'd likely never seen the inside of a 'cage' till I brought her home. In no time at all I now have to make her Sit, in the kitchen, just so I can get her lead off her. Then, " Bed. " And she barges in here and LEAPS into her kennel! Makes me smile every time even now :D She absolutely Loves it in there! (And she knows too that, every time she jumps in and I secure the door, I'm straight out to the fridge to fetch her a morsel of flesh ;))

See? Stopping babys crying is one thing. Getting a Dog to Enjoy its own private place? Piss easy! And this is't the first or last time I've done it either. Just let the little mite grow up. Make that kennel it's own little world and ye'll have one happy Dog :good:

Just read Darrens input too: What an Excellent idea! Security. That and something to call their own and amuse themselves with? I don't think many Dogs could ask for much more? :)

Finding the truth about Indoor Kennels saved me Losing what's left of my own f*cking sanity, thet's for sure! :laugh:

cheers for the input guys, at least i know im on the right lines now. Whenever he wants to sleep during the day he'l sleep fine in the cage, i leave the door open and he's happy with that, he goes in on his own and seems to like it in there. SJM, you brought up the bit i wasnt sure about. i was told do what you said tire him out, put him to bed with a drink and some food, cover the cage over so he feels safe and make his bed nice and comfy. The other bit i was told though was dont get up if he whines, ignore him.

That seems a bit harsh, instinct tells you to get up and see he's ok but the reasoning being he learns that if he whines he gets attention. But to get up earlier in the morning than i usually would and see to him. say 5.30 and slowly work it a bit later every morning ?

Agree completely that Eight Weeks?!? Bloody hell, mate; Babys cry! It's what they Do!

like i say mate i expected it, im just asking for advice so i do the right thing with him.

Cheers.

agree with a few people on here regarding cages/crates whatever,i never used one before but i am currently using a disused chinchilla cage simply because it was there and also just the right size for my terrier,as i said it was either that or risk annoying the neighbours with his recent barking,this is a temporary measure until i get an anti barking collar,and i must say i will use these means again as it is

the most effective method of quieting the dog and not letting him run riot in the kitchen and chewing everything in sight which incidentally was worse than the barking as he chewed his way through my tropical fish tank equipment wires,i will get over the wire chewing as i will repair them myself,but the barking,well you simply must put your mind at peace knowing he's inside a cage in your kitchen,whining

is just a small inconvenience to pay,if you ignore his intial whines he will soon settle down,and as ditch says make the cage his own and also never force them in,always lure them in with food and comforts etc!

Higgins.

agree with a few people on here regarding cages/crates whatever,i never used one before but i am currently using a disused chinchilla cage simply because it was there and also just the right size for my terrier,as i said it was either that or risk annoying the neighbours with his recent barking,this is a temporary measure until i get an anti barking collar,and i must say i will use these means again as it is

the most effective method of quieting the dog and not letting him run riot in the kitchen and chewing everything in sight which incidentally was worse than the barking as he chewed his way through my tropical fish tank equipment wires,i will get over the wire chewing as i will repair them myself,but the barking,well you simply must put your mind at peace knowing he's inside a cage in your kitchen,whining

is just a small inconvenience to pay,if you ignore his intial whines he will soon settle down,and as ditch says make the cage his own and also never force them in,always lure them in with food and comforts etc!

Higgins.

carriers are the best thing ever, use them for all our dogs, dogs love them too, they are indeed their personal dens for their stuff, bones toys etc and have made our lives really easy. Agree with Ditch Shitter on getting pups used to them and never forcing. carriers are dead handy for any size of dog at any age. On that point any tips on where to pick up good value on them online etc., some of mine are bit ancient.

The other bit i was told though was dont get up if he whines, ignore him.

That seems a bit harsh, instinct tells you to get up and see he's ok but the reasoning being he learns that if he whines he gets attention. But to get up earlier in the morning than i usually would and see to him. say 5.30 and slowly work it a bit later every morning ?

I totally agree with you, many of the dog training books etc say to just completely ignore the pup if it makes a noise, but to me that means your tolerating the bad behaviour. I think its far better to teach the pup that if he makes a noise he will receive negative attention ie you giving him a row and then walking away with no physical contact or affection which he craves, but if hes quiet, he will receive positive attention in the early stages, and soon he wont feel the need to whine to get your attention as he knows he can get it by being quiet and good and going with the routine. Its important to always praise the dog every time it comes in and out of its crate, even if its only verbally for example saying "Go to bed" and pointing at the crate, and then saying "good boy" when he goes in. The blanket idea is excellent and one I use when a bitch is brought into the house to have pups, it seems to make them feel more secure and snug.

One last thing, some people say you should leave the crate door open so the dog can come and go as he pleases, to me that defeats the purpose of using a crate :doh: I always shut the door that way I am in control of what the dog does and when, and where it goes in the house and when. Theres no point having a crate with an open door if the dog is not going to spend time on it, and as soon as you nip out the door the dog is rampaging through the house and ending up lounging on the sofa :D If you think ooh my well trained doggie doesnt do that, think again, they can hear your car coming or your footsteps long before you put your key in the door and can scuttle back to their bed and act as though they have lain there all day :angel::laugh:

• 3 months later...

Higgins.

carriers are the best thing ever, use them for all our dogs, dogs love them too, they are indeed their personal dens for their stuff, bones toys etc and have made our lives really easy. Agree with Ditch Shitter on getting pups used to them and never forcing. carriers are dead handy for any size of dog at any age. On that point any tips on where to pick up good value on them online etc., some of mine are bit ancient.

I agree cages are the way to go but I never go back to the cage when locked for the night when a pup,no matter how much whining,a blanket over the top makes it more cosy for them and I never go near them(and keep kids well away)when asleep,its their home in a home and you can take it anywhere its still home to them.I dont lock the door now cant keep him out of it.

Guest craftycarper

my rescue bitch would never go in the crate indoors, i only got it for using in the van that i had at the time and she would go in it in the van but not at home. Then when i got the pups months later they went in straight away indoors. Ever since then she has gone in no problem. Best way is to break it in little and often, no forcing in, feed the dog in it at meal times. My rescue bitch is a funny little thing, very finnicky and i think she was treated quite bad by the previous owner hence the reason for not going in the crate. I would be lost without it though.