I`ve Got My Variation;.......well Almost ;-)

Message sent to the members helpline of the BASC firearms dept.

I truly can't see what your problem is.

As with all S1 firearms, you are required to demonstrate your good reason to posess. If your applied for one stating your good reason to posess a S1 shotgun is for "practical" shooting, then surley you must expect to prove that you are a member of a club that holds practial shotgun events or are a personal member of the UKPSA thereby giving acess to affilaited grounds on which practical shooting events take place.

It's not the joining of a club or membership of the UKPSA as I will be doing both, it's the being forced to do so and told its a legal requirement.

As far as I can ascertain it is NOT a legal requirement to join the UKPSA to shoot practical shotgun, but lots of FEO say you do and as they're the ones with the keys to the safe as it were, it's a lot easier to comply.

David

Ignore the wording legal requirement and substitute requirement.

As I said, it is a requirement when applying for a S1 firearm for target shooting that you are a member of a target shooting club that permits the use of the firearm/caiber for the dicipline you intend to take part in.

As you already know, clubs that hold competitions for practical shotgun are members of the UKPSA and it is a UKPSA requirement for those who wish to take part that they are members and have successfully completed their safety course.

How can it be unreasonable for the police, when processing your application, to stipulate that you must be a member of UKPSA when that very organisation says membership is a must to take part.

If you look on the BASC website you will find a download that explains what is required and confirms exactly what I am saying.

http://basc.org.uk/?s=practical%20shotgun

• 2 weeks later...

I emailed the firearms licensing office to see where my variation was in the que. They forward it to my FEO?? I new he wouldn't know but he gave me a call anyway! While on the phone I asked a cheeky 'can I have a .17hmr on an open ticket"? The reply, "yes, no problem, I'll add it to your variation" Rather pleased!