Frozen Food

muttley94

That's how I see it, for a few months each season I can get back from work and get out with my hawk for between twenty minutes and an hour. I know a Gos could do something in that time but it just seems easy with a Harris. Stick it up a tree and have it following on, even on the smallest crappiest bits of land they seem to see something to fly after. About a year ago someone on a Facebook forum said that the modern Harris hawk owner seems to treat them like a lurcher. He was being critical but I find the Harris very similar to a lurcher. The same methods are used to hunt them which is why someone like me who had experience with lurchers but none with birds of prey can have some success with a Harris. I wouldn't know where to start with a Goshawk, I don't think the three seasons I've spent with a Harris has taught me anything regarding how to fly the other species.

yeah that makes sense, I know some people have their problems with Harris's, I've heard all sorts of things, but i think they are fantastic birds!

But I see your point about not teaching you anything about having a different species- I personally think its wrong to see them as a 'starter' bird, something to move on from after you get the basics (I understand why people say that and why people do it) but I just think they can offer so much and have so many variations to how they can be flown that you can fly them happily for a long time? I think if i knew I wanted another bird then I'd start with that bird, but thats just my opinion :)

I agree, after three seasons I'm still learning and I know others are doing more with their Hawks than I am. I see the evidence of that everyday on the Facebook forums. What I can say is that me and my mate enjoy going hunting with our Hawks and even though this season isn't going as well as last season the birds are healthy and live good lives. They aren't as fit as they could be and we aren't bagging hares and ducks etc but I'm happy with rabbits and the odd pheasant. I love it.

I think I would too mate! it sounds ideal!

Just out of interest which forums on facebook do you use? ive seen a few but none that are that good? I think maybe the good ones get buried in the crap! the ones im part of the only things people seem to post is trying to sell me gloves, bags, vests, hoods and every accessory possible! :icon_eek:

The best one is falconry and hawking, Harris hawk goshawk is ok and a few others I can't remember the name off. I just tried them all out and deleted the ones where people are allowed to sell stuff. Dalemews goshawks is worth friending with regularly reports and videos.