Collar

oz0707

Katchum I never said there was a right way or wrong way their are pros and cons to a collar. Me personally with my dogs I see it as an extra risk albeit minimal so wouldn't use one for the reasons given. There are risks to working a dog of course but I always give them some thought when out, as Iam sure others do. I lost a terrier when I was kid that got ran over working in a wood near a road. Do I never take my dogs near a road nowadays, of course not is not possible where I live, do I give it some thought, yes I do. I spent alot of my youth on my grandads farm with collies, never seen one collared whilst working either, I know farmers are tight but they could have afforded a collar for them but choose not too atb.

Everyones different, I'm not going to pull another bloke down for working his with collars on.

The first reason I put stopped having a collar on mine was advice from a couple of old blokes who I used to go out with when I was a kid.

Second reason I tend to leave collars off were my neighbour had to help one of my lurchers who was hanging from my driveway gate. Half way up the gate it had decorative spears, the dog had been on its hind legs barking at someone then come down only to have one of those things lodge between his collar and neck. It was something I'd never thought of until it happened. I was straight out with the grinder and lopped them all off. I did the same at my next house as that had the same style of gate.

I work my dogs mainly in wooded areas, would my dogs get snagged wearing a collar.....sooner or later yes. If I had need for one of my dogs to wear a locator collar then so be it. You just have to use your common sense.

Do you have your dogs chipped?

Edited by wuyang

May be two in a lifetime job but if it happens again when I can't see her I'm in trouble. I think the answer is a tracking collar then if they're in one spot too long you know something's up?

For me I'll probably just stick to taking the collar off when out now. Also didn't want to get chipped but probably will for the obvious reason