A friend has just had his dog to the vets to be told this is what it has...the dog is 2 yrs and only just gone lame about a week ago , the vet has said there may be need for a op down the line , has anyone any personal experience of this condition,the dog is a strong fit bullbreed,that does alot of exercise ,will the dog ever be 100% again..thanks for any help..

A friend has just had his dog to the vets to be told this is what it has...the dog is 2 yrs and only just gone lame about a week ago , the vet has said there may be need for a op down the line , has anyone any personal experience of this condition,the dog is a strong fit bullbreed,that does alot of exercise ,will the dog ever be 100% again..thanks for any help..

no personal experience of it mate, just found this. http://www.barkbytes.com/medical/med0023.htm

was the dog injured recently or did the vet say it was inherited, i'ld get a second opinion anyway, i wouldn't trust vets as far far as i could throw them, especially when they mention an op. good luck.

HAVE A DOG HERE SAME AGE , SAME COMPLAINT. KNEE POPS IN AND OUT ON LEFT LEG. VET SAID ITS INHERITED AND NOT TO BREED OFF THE DOG, HE CAN PUT IT RIGHT FOR 450 EUROS, IT INVOLVES GRINDING OUT THE BONE THEN STICHING OVER THE KNEE, THIS MAKES IT FIT IN TO THE GROVE BETTER.

I NOTICE THIS A BIT MORE WHEN THE DOG IS LOSE IN THE GARDEN ON SIDE MOVMENTS IT POPS OUT.

AT PRESENT THE DOG IS DOING 15 MILES A DAY THATS OVER 3 HOURS OF WALKING/ AND ELECTRIC MILL , WITH NO COMPLAINTS ( VISUAL).

IF HE EVER COMES A CHAMPION ILL GET IT DONE :laugh:

Slipping patella IS a hereditary problem.....that doesnt mean it will ever come to the surface of course but obviously there is more chance it will in any offspring......as most of us bull breed lovers will probably know it is a fairly common problem....not to be confused with the actual injury of breaking the ligament,i forget what its called now ??...the same as what paul gascoigne did years ago...the ligament that stabilises the patella....

A slipping patella can but is not necessarily brought on by a heavy landing type of injury but is instead just the basic problem of having a fairly heavy but strong hard pulling type of dog...typical of most bull breeds.....bouts of hard exercise will normally bring it on and as far as im aware corrective surgery rarely solves the problem completely.....main thing to remember is like i say...it IS hereditary....sorry if thats put a downer on things and i wish you well with your dog.

What Bull breed? Its common in English Bull Terriers and in my opinion the advice you have been given is good. Jack Russells commonly get it, yes its hereditary and the dog or bitch should NOT be bred from, my Vet calls it "Jack Russell hop" Personally if it were my dog and he was in no pain and showed no signs of discomform, Id leave it alone. Best of luck with him.

Dawn.

Thanks for the replys all...The dog is 2 1/2 and never showed any sign untill last week, my mate says he pulled the dog back as he was lunging after another dog whilst walking....the vet has said patella ...i'm wondering has he injured the ligerment aroung the knee.......once again thanks..

Mmm sounds more like an injury than an inherited patella fault, that would of been evident since a pup. I would totally rest the dog and see if there is improvement, if it is a strained cruciate ligament (back of the knee) exercise will make it worse, if it ruptures it will be mega bucks and no guarantee!

Mmm sounds more like an injury than an inherited patella fault, that would of been evident since a pup. I would totally rest the dog and see if there is improvement, if it is a strained cruciate ligament (back of the knee) exercise will make it worse, if it ruptures it will be mega bucks and no guarantee!

Just because a dog has an inherited fault doesnt mean it will show itself it simply means it is carrying the fault...ie...it has an inherited weakness that is likely to show itself a lot easier than a dog not carrying the fault so it wouldnt necessarily be evident from a pup.

By the sound of it anwl,your dog may just have tweaked it.....if you could possibly find out the parents / gr parents to your dogs history with this it may be a help,rest the dog up and see how it go,s mate,good luck.

Just because a dog has an inherited fault doesnt mean it will show itself it simply means it is carrying the fault...ie...it has an inherited weakness that is likely to show itself a lot easier than a dog not carrying the fault so it wouldnt necessarily be evident from a pup.

By the sound of it anwl,your dog may just have tweaked it.....if you could possibly find out the parents / gr parents to your dogs history with this it may be a help,rest the dog up and see how it go,s mate,good luck.

Thankyou all...Gnasher...The dog is now in full rest...thanks for the help...

Edited by ANWL

Possibly but I doubt it. Luxating patella is not lameness its "skipping" most dogs never need any treatment as the problem doesnt worsen. I have seen a LOT of dogs with it during the last 15yrs managing a boarding kennel and up till now I can only recall one dog, a Westie requiring surgery and that was because one patella was permanently out of the groove, the slipping is what the problem is, its not a permanent lameness when the knee is in the joint the dog is sound.

I hope, whatever the problem is your dog recovers quickly.