Long Range Aim Points For Crows

I have been having some hectic and fruitful sessions on carrion crows, but am missing a good few too, and need some advice.

The birds keep coming back to the top of 120ft (40 yard) tall lime trees to mob their fallen comrades, once you get the first one of course. My shooting position is 45 yards away.

So, the shot is taken at a steepish upwards angle.

I think I read somewhere that on these steep shots, you should actually aim under your intended target?? I would have thought gravity would mean the opposite effect more relevant. Any thoughts? I am using .177 Bisley Magnums in a BSA Ultra SE, and cannot reliably see the pellet through the air.

I have a sitty tree at that distance from the house, and the same height. With an average-weight pellet, I used to aim a little low. I now use heavier JSB Exact Heavies, and have to aim a little high -- presumably due to the quicker drop-off from the heavier pellet.

Pick a pine tree, at roughly the same height and distance, and shoot at the pine cones -- you'll soon see what's going on.

with this post in mind I decided crow was on my list.. Holy moly if I miss another I am going home.. I swear one ducked on me, sitting low 25 yards from me popped off wings everywhere.. I went over to look and could see the pellet in the trunk brain height!! Joys of shooting!! Blooming crows lol

I've had the same problem it is amazing how much everything changes when shooting up at a angle I used to consider myself a good shot until I started shoot stuff out of trees and it's like starting off all over again as a noob you've got to learn all your aim points all over again and at different angles it changes again and the only way to really to really learn is to practice but the shooting the pine cone out of trees if definitely good advice it helped me a lot

• Like 1