Rhododendron - Any Good For Sticks Etc?

Last year I cleared out a whole load of rhodie bushes at my dad's house and some of them were nice straightish peices. They've seasoned well and are pretty tough so I was wondering whether they make good sticks etc or if there is some problem with rhodie wood cos I've not heard of anyone using it.

Cheers,

S

Its not bad carving wood mate, the Yanks carve spoons out of it, and iv'e seen some fancy stick handles carved out of Rhodi, but never heard of anybody using it for a full stick, but the barks not really appealing, maybe a stripped bark stick would be ok?

Its not bad carving wood mate, the Yanks carve spoons out of it, and iv'e seen some fancy stick handles carved out of Rhodi, but never heard of anybody using it for a full stick, but the barks not really appealing, maybe a stripped bark stick would be ok?

I know a semi retired keeper, supplies a well known London Gunsmiths with his sticks and swears by rhodendron for carving

Y.I.S Leeview

good for sticks, strip the bark and stain it or leave it natural beautiful just varnished also great for getting forks for thumb sticks or cattys , if theres a lot about have a look for a suitable stick comeing off a main trunk or branch and try an pull it off if it works you should have something like a cobras head to work with im surrounded by the stuff im fighting a looseing battle to keep it at bay :censored:

Thanks Dmick, my dad has the same problem, he's been trying to clear those rhodies for 20 years now, still hasn't won. I'll have a go making a stick and post some pics when I'm done, It'll be my first so should be fun.

Cheers,

S