First One On The Dry

Well the season has properly started as far as I am concerned - had a few up until today on the nymph or as I call it cheating - and then today finally took the first wild brownie on a genuine rise to a small olive spider pattern - get in :D

I had seen one or two break the surface but they were chasing nymphs - then I saw a genuine dry fin rise, 2 mins later again. Watched while I stalked and for about 15 mins he kept coming. I could see a little hatch going on but couldn't identify the critters so went for an old faithful pattern of mine that serves me well on small rivers. Olive quill body, Wapsi Olive dubbed thorax with a cree spider style hackle - no tails tied on an 18. How satisfying it was when he took it first chuck.

Came away from the water then - it was not going to get any better than that so fag on and chill out. Cool.

Then had chase of three chaps armed with 20lb line, massive tobys and rods like broom handles who began to unload their car of them next to me. They had not seen me and got the shock of their life when I emerged from the undergrowth. Hopefully I shan't see them round these parts no more. :censored: The little river is not stocked so they could have raped the beat in hour if I had not been there. Had a word with the farmer who owns the adjoining land and he says he will keep an eye out. They don't want be messing with his dogs let me tell you :D

• Like 1