Pointer Or Springer

The age old question of do you shoot more over a pointing dog or a flushing dog? Do pointing dogs pass birds in heavy cover and do springers sometimes flush 2 far away in heavy cover!? The ground I hunt is mixed so I could do with both but what are your taughts??

I've never seen a pointing dog pass a bird or rabbit in heavy cover they are scent driven and hard wired to hold a scent and i've seen both breeds bump birds at a distance. You can train a dog all its life and it will still have an off day. Choose whatever dog your capable of training the pointers need longer to grow up some as much as twice as long as spaniels.

The age old question of do you shoot more over a pointing dog or a flushing dog? Do pointing dogs pass birds in heavy cover and do springers sometimes flush 2 far away in heavy cover!? The ground I hunt is mixed so I could do with both but what are your taughts??

I don't get this thing about spaniels springing stuff too far forward. It depends on your training. I hear so many people giving their dogs a hard time but its about what you train them to do. They're programmable from birth, put the time in and it'll be a FTCh. Don't, and it'll be a f$*&kup. That goes for any dog in fact. :thumbs:

• Like 3

If game is scarce the pointer will put more game in bag than spaniel . Both breeds need trained !! I have a gwp and cover is no prob I know an English pointer that will break cover as good as any it's all about were you run train them IMO

Thanks guys! Do any of you think you'd shoot more over either?

At the end of the day you can only bag what you can hit. Pointer or springer they will never be able to present the quarry exactly how you want it. Once they've found it the rest is up to the person with the gun.

Pointers come into there own in large open areas and spaniels are generally better in thick cover

Edited by lee-kinsman