1st Chase

we got 2 inches of rain overnight, so i decided to take my new dog out for a hunt and see if i could get him his 1st chase (on a fox that is) whilst the cool weather was about. as my dad and our other 2 dogs (lab and jack) flushed out the cover, one came out. the dog saw him and i said "go get him" (as you do) and he took off after it. the fox was about 100m away when he took off. the fox bolted through the open paddock with hal in pursuit. the fox reached the fence with hal barely 25m behind. here's where the problem arose:

the fox went through the fence but hal (deerhound dog) did not go over it...... he lost sight of it for a moment, picking it up again when it hit the road, he then ran back to me, turned around and ran back and then went over the fence. however the fox was out of sight by then.

i was a little thrown back by this as he goes over the fences with no trouble at all. i trained him to myself. as this is my 1st fox dog, im not sure if letting one go is normal for a 1st timer. so whats the go??? do i just need to keep trying?

any replys/advise would be taken gladly. im confused and im hoping this does not mean he wont work. he does however, chase hares, rabbits but has not been given the proper oppurtunity to catch one yet. :hmm:

Sounds like good sport...don't worry about the first chase, the dogs have to learn too...it would be good for them if you had some "easy" rabbits (diseased, ferreted) to boost confidence...keep taking them out and enjoy!

L

Edited by Lennard

whats it breed and age and has it been on a fox with other dogs before and did your lab and jack chase with it . Because it might have waited for u or the other dogs to back it up because thats what he's used to also if it hasnt ran with other running dogs do it so it learns what to do if it see's a dog jump the fence while in chase it will do it aswell also when training it to jump its different when its at full speed and not looking at the fence

basicaly in the end i think its normal for a young dog on its own to stop on a fence while chasing so the more u do it the faster it will learn but remember "monkey see monkey do" so run it with another dog

whats it breed and age and has it been on a fox with other dogs before and did your lab and jack chase with it . Because it might have waited for u or the other dogs to back it up because thats what he's used to also if it hasnt ran with other running dogs do it so it learns what to do if it see's a dog jump the fence while in chase it will do it aswell also when training it to jump its different when its at full speed and not looking at the fence

basicaly in the end i think its normal for a young dog on its own to stop on a fence while chasing so the more u do it the faster it will learn but remember "monkey see monkey do" so run it with another dog

he's a 1 year old male deerhound. he has been out with other dogs only once, in which we only got 2 chases. no the lab and the jack didnt see it as they were busy in the cover flushing him out. but the lab would have given it all he had if he had seen it. i can see what you are talking about with jumping the fences at full speed. i personally dont want to let him on rabbits as this will in a sense, teach him to chase rabbits and hares in particular. i do not want him chasing hares when and if i can help it, as this just tires the dogs out, making them inactive come time for a fox chase. there is a fellow that lives near me whom has a good working stag. i will ask him along next time as my dog can run with his: watch and learn.

thanks for the reply allgame :signthankspin:

WHEN MY OLD DEERHOUND CROSS WAS ABOUT 1YR FOUR OF US WERE OUT FOR A RUN AT SOME RABBITS BEFORE WE SPLIT UP WE SEEN A FOX TUCKING INTO A SHEEP ALL FOUR DOGS WEREON IT RIGHT AWAY MY DOG JUMPED OVER IT AND STOOD AT THE BACK IGOT AFAIR BIT OF STICK THEY FAILED TO ACKNOWLEDGE THE FOX GOT AWAY SIX MONTHS .LATER HEKILLED HISFIRST FOX SINGLEHANDED AND NEVER LOOKED BACK HE HATED THEM HEWAS STILL KILLING THE ODD ONE AT 11YRS BY THIS TIME HE ONLY HAD HIS FOUR FANGS LEFT DUE TO AGUM DISEASE THESE LAST FOXS WERE NOT DELIERATE HE KILLED HIS LAST BROWN HARE AT TEN @HALF 60/70yds start.

i know u can teach a dog oviesly not to hunt livstock and with the right amount of time spent roos and i know how much a hare will take out of a dog espesically in the day and the summer but it would have to be prity hard to stop a runner chasing hares and from what u siad unlike me half my game is rabbits and i dont mind chasing a hare at night but this intreges me do u acctualy know anyone whos dog will catch and kill fox but not a hare and rabbit also the problem iv found with restricting my dogs on certian animals is that in a pack if one dog chases they all will so in the end all the trianings for nothin and u'd be better off with a loaded shot gun or using your time to call your dog off the game