New longnet

Guest little_lloyd

Guest little_lloyd

I bought a 4z nylon longnet from my local gunsmiths today!! I only have the net, no stakes or end stakes!!

Never used a longnet before, do i need to buy end pins or can i cut some hazel likewise as the stakes?

LL

Guest little_lloyd
you'll need end pins for a traditional set net and you'll need hazel for whatever way you're going to set it up unless you've got the cash for fibreglass poles :thumbs:

Cheers bud!!

Where can i get em from?

Hey buddy,

Mole Catcher makes some quality end pins... as for hazel get yourself down you local thicket and get some. (about as long as the tips of you fingers to your armpit and witdth or your ring finger, try and let them season a bit first) I'm sure people have better suggestions but this will get you started. The pinned board has some quality info and the people who really know what they are doing have posted some quality articles on rigs and methods... bit of a mission trawling through the 'search' page though. Have to organise a trip out when i get back if you like.

Take it easy

Guest little_lloyd
Hey buddy,

Mole Catcher makes some quality end pins... as for hazel get yourself down you local thicket and get some. (about as long as the tips of you fingers to your armpit and witdth or your ring finger, try and let them season a bit first) I'm sure people have better suggestions but this will get you started. The pinned board has some quality info and the people who really know what they are doing have posted some quality articles on rigs and methods... bit of a mission trawling through the 'search' page though. Have to organise a trip out when i get back if you like.

Take it easy

Ill have to get hold of some end pins then ;)

Yeh when your back we'll get a trip going :thumbs:

Hello little loyed.

if you are going to rig the net in what is now know as the traditional way then yes you will need a pair of end pins, if your going for the basket system then no you wont as they dont have tails on their running lines.

these are the end pins i sell, now im not just on here to sell stuff to members and i try not to tout for bussines but their 7.50p posted.

test008.jpg

this is a 50yrd net ready for use and shows how a well readied net should look after being picked up correctly :thumbs:

In that picture mole catcher there is a notch cut out of the hazel.

Why do you cut the notch in the hazels sticks for ?

Never seen that done before

Its funny you should ask that, me and netrigger were having the same conversation this evening. its where the top line sits after i have thrown a clove hitch, some netters use this, others use 3 small groves and others dont use anything, just a plain peg. I find it helps the running line to gripp the hazle peg.