Fox Snare Making

I use small annealed nuts to act as a stop for the noose, the ally ones at the end, where swivel is. Annealed nut at the end will hold if hammered flat/tight enough, it would want a washer in the swivel to stop it being pulled through and binding though.

Edited by proper job
I have seen that Americans use Annealed Nuts a lot of the time in snare making, and was wondering about your views on using them as against the Alloy End Stops that are used commercially? Holding power and such like. Thanks
nuts are very strong and normal mild steel nuts do not need to be anealed , they have threads inside them these take a great grip on the wire watch and not hammer them over tight or you will damage the cable strands , sometimes they can crack and they rust ,the aluminium is good also, they can be hammered flat and hold very well , i use a ratchet crimping tool with a beak insert and this is a great tool for crimping ferrels onto wire , you need a good crimp with a thick wall , the americans sell good quality stuff you can get them here but a lot of the time they are crap , all depends where you get them . search for the snare shop on the net as they sell a lot of good stuff and the price of the dollar over 2 usa. to the pound at the moment the aluminium makes a nice professional job , car brake pipe , works good also saw into little crimp size and clean ends with a nail , you can make a 5 foot fox snare for 25 pence, so get to it kid . snareman
I had a go today by putting some swivels on some shop bought snares I already had.

If anyone can see anything wrong with what I'm doing let me know.there is nothing wrong with it son , it will hold any british fox and we have them thats been weighed in at over 30 lbs , my own heaviest fox was 27 lbs , make your plastic sleeves 1/2 inch as its long enough , and you will get all the more from your roll , that looks like 3 mil. galvanized wire that will hold a coyote , i made a pile with 3 mil, and took them over to northern b.c. in canada a few years back for my mate , who is a pro. trapper and he snares coyotes at 50 lbs with them , your swivel is neat , all the best gw.

SnareSwivel002.jpg

SnareSwivel001.jpg