Differences In Dies For 223 And 223 Comp?

Evening people

Merry Christmas

A while ago I upgraded my 204 Ruger from RCBS standard dies to Competition dies and have been really pleased with them. I bought a 223 Rem recently and am in the process of doing the same thing.

I went on to the Optics Warehouse website, where I bought the last ones from, and clicked on the 'select calibre' dropdown menu, There, as expected, was the '204 Ruger' option, but the 223 is quoted as '223 Comp', and this got me thinking. Is the 223 Comp a calibre that stands alone

Is this die suitable for normal hunting reloading for my Ballistic Tips, or is it meant for competition bullets only? Maybe the FMJs used for competition shooting are designed differently.I will ring around tomorrow for some advice, but any thoughts from you experts in the meantime would be appreciated.

Regards

Skully

• 2 weeks later...

Evening people

Merry Christmas

A while ago I upgraded my 204 Ruger from RCBS standard dies to Competition dies and have been really pleased with them. I bought a 223 Rem recently and am in the process of doing the same thing.

I went on to the Optics Warehouse website, where I bought the last ones from, and clicked on the 'select calibre' dropdown menu, There, as expected, was the '204 Ruger' option, but the 223 is quoted as '223 Comp', and this got me thinking. Is the 223 Comp a calibre that stands alone

Is this die suitable for normal hunting reloading for my Ballistic Tips, or is it meant for competition bullets only? Maybe the FMJs used for competition shooting are designed differently.I will ring around tomorrow for some advice, but any thoughts from you experts in the meantime would be appreciated.

Regards

Skully

The word 'comp' is short for competition. These will do the same job as RCBS 's ordinary dies. The difference is that the comp dies are built to a higher standard and have a micrometre so as to be able to make precise adjustments to the die. Also they are very much more money and you will have to decide whether the additional cost is worth it for the intended use of the round you are making.

• 2 weeks later...