Fieldcraft

Hi all,

I have been walking one of my permissions with my German Short Haired pup of late and noticed that by 3pm / 3-15 pm a large oak tree to the corner of a small field is holding pigeon and carrion crows to decent numbers - say 6 of each and increasing daily .

Approx` 25/30 yards away from this sitty tree is a long hedgerow and today i cut and built a natural hide in it.(ranged it at 31 yards with a rangefinder)

In one weeks time i will set up and shoot at these times of day from here with my HW 100 kt .177 on shooting sticks and camo`d up.

The wildlife will be comfortable with any slight changes by then.

I`ll keep the forum posted :D

atb

• Like 2

Sat and watched the oak tree and hide from about 10 football fields away (1000 + yds) yesterday afternoon and the crows were "very cautious" of me even at that range, pigeons were fine.

I`m going to place about an 18 inch length of broom stick (camo`d up ) out of the hide with a small flappy/ loose strip of camo on the end of it to get them used to a touch of movement and leave it for another week.

This is the greatest part of being an air rifle hunter for me, - "fieldcraft" .

When i go to the hide in a week or so i will ask one of my sons to come along with me. When i get set up i will ask him to leave and even drive the van away.

Old country knowledge is that crows "cannot count" and will think i have left and the trap is set (we hope).

atb

Edited by mark williams