How Much Land?

Tozer

I have been bringing on a terrier and a lurcher and increasingly I am looking to be more effective in my pest control.

I am looking at getting some ferrets with a mate.

I have about 150 acres of permission with more old permissions coming back in all the time, how much would you need as a hobby ferreter to keep you going all winter?

My concern is I will wipe out what I have and not have anything else to go at. But I may pick up more work as I go along.

There is what I have just looked at today 12 or more warrens varying from 4 - 20 holes on the land.

I know it is a bit vague, as it stand I shoot it with an air rifle/shotgun, hopefully with a lurcher next year.

hi pal to wipe out your land depends on how many rabbits on it and how oftern you go best thing to do is have 3 to 4 different places to go and alternate them weekly that way ya keep the land owener happy and dont catch everthing in one season but if your a pest controler is nt your objective to wipe it out any way?

i am not a pest controller, I have had a few years off and I am currently getting back into it. I have never kept ferrets, my dad did when I was a kid.

I have always viewed rabbits shooting as skimming off the top and keeping them in check, I don't want to remove them.

There are 3 or 4 small bits of land I hit hard 8/10 years ago (a few days/nights of a genuine 50 odd) that have never had rabbits in the same numbers again. Similarly this land always had a few on but is now starting to hold good numbers.

Fook it, I'll hit it and see.

Edited by Tozer