A choke lead can be really useful tool if you use it properly. It needs to be high up on the dogs neck though, not down low where a normal collar is. I'd reccomend using it as well as the normal lead at the same time, just keep the choke a bit shorter. The end goal is for the dog to walk beside you with a slack lead. keep the choke up really high on the dogs neck, and the normal lead attached to the dogs collar, everytime the dog strays too far the lead will tighten. The idea isn't to actually restrict the dogs breathing or 'choke' it, it's more to pull the dogs head back towards you, hence the high position of the choke collar. if the doog persists pulling once the choke lead tightens, give it a short sharp tug to bring the dog back into line, and then immediately release the pressure on the choke lead. This teaches the dog that when he stands within an acceptable distance to you, he is free to move his head etc.

Hope that helps

The chain has to slide freely for it to work properly so they don't work very well on long haired dogs as the hair tends to catch in some of the links. Also you MUST know what you're doing otherwise don't even think about using one. From the end of the lead the chain has to go over the top of the dogs' neck and back up under its chin NOT under its chin then back up over the back of the neck. This means you must always walk the dog on one side or the other because if it moves from one side of you to the other the chain will alternate between being on correctly and being on upside down.

With the chain on correctly and the dog on the correct side of you start walking forward with the lead and chain hanging slack. As soon as the dog starts to move forward out of a 'heel' position, immediately give a sharp tug-and-release. So the tug brings the dog back into the right position and as you then immediately release the tension the chain and lead will fall slack again so the dog feels no pressure. Timing's crucial. Also, as soon as the dog's back in the correct position praise it. If you're doing everything properly you should be able to sort the problem in just a few minutes - literally. As soon as the dog steps out of position it feels momentary discomfort, but all the time it walks beside you it has no pressure on the neck at all as the chain is hanging slack.

If you put the chain on upside down, or the dog crosses over to the other side of you even though you initially put it on correctly, when you release after the tug the chain won't slacken. In other words it will be strangling the dog. So the dog now gets a horrible sensation when it's walking in the correct position and all you're doing is teaching it NOT to walk quietly beside you.

Try the chain out on your leg or arm and you'll see what I mean.

• Like 2

I did a bit of research on the matter and i think i might give it a miss, as their seems to be more nagatives to it then positives.

Thank you both for your input. :thumbs:

Definitely plenty of potential for you to cock up if you don't know what you're doing. Is your dog food orientated? If so, look up Michael Ellis on YouTube or http://michaelellisschool.com/videos.htm. Very talented dog trainer who I'm sure you'll be able to pick up plenty of tips from.

I did a bit of research on the matter and i think i might give it a miss, as their seems to be more nagatives to it then positives.

Thank you both for your input. :thumbs:

Definitely plenty of potential for you to cock up if you don't know what you're doing. Is your dog food orientated? If so, look up Michael Ellis on YouTube or http://michaelellisschool.com/videos.htm. Very talented dog trainer who I'm sure you'll be able to pick up plenty of tips from.

:thumbs: I got a lot of good tips off him in the passed and it seems to work well.

agree with krawnden, timing is everything, muck up and you will make the problem worse or cause other problems. personally i prefer a light slip lead, and spend time on the heel work/leash work while the puppy is still quite little, so you dont need to get too heavy. a big, unruly badly trained dog might need some tougher handling, but you can generally sort them out in just a few minutes if you get it right

• Like 1