Help Working Cocker Spaniel

• 3 weeks later...

Main thing is don't push the dog, it'll all fall in place when you start on the live game. Get the dog on some rabbits and let it have a chase, then when it's hunting good and hard you can start to bring it back. That's how I start steady dogs anyway.

Cheers Tom

Hi tom, sorry to high jack your post mate Duane 87, but if I can just ask tom, is it ok to let the young spaniel to chase the rabbit before you try and stop it on the whistle? Rather than trying to stop it once it has been flushed? Just thought it might be harder to stop the dog once it has been allowed to chase?

• Like 1

Hi tom, sorry to high jack your post mate Duane 87, but if I can just ask tom, is it ok to let the young spaniel to chase the rabbit before you try and stop it on the whistle? Rather than trying to stop it once it has been flushed? Just thought it might be harder to stop the dog once it has been allowed to chase?

All depends on the dog, if the dogs keen as mustard hitting cover hard already then don't let it chase as you'll lose it completely. If the dog needs a bit of geeing up then you can get away with a few chases. Some only need 1 chase before they click and some need more every dogs different