Refurb Of .17 Hmr Stock

Hi all.. About four years ago I got a HMR cheap 'cos the stock was painted gloss black. Apparently the previous owner thought the rabbits he was shooting in the dark could see the stock :huh:

I'm going to sell it to finance a new .223 and I' looking for ideas on how to refurb the stock to it original glory. I've also got a spare stock for it. The black one is in good nick but the spare is battered.

Either one will involve stripping and sanding, then putting on some sort of protective coat. I'm a bit of a doofus around this sort of thing, Has anyone done this before who could give me a bit of direction?

Ta!

Skully

Plenty of stuff in b&q for stripping back to wood, then get on ebay and order some birch wood and casey stock finish. Comes as a pack, get 3 grades of sand paper wire wool, a walnut stain and true oil which gives it a really nice shine. Did my over and under not so long back. Take your time with the sanding and you won't go wrong mate.