Homes made rat trap help

It seems there are still some rats in my garden. There were a few trying to feed from the bird feeder and i managed to shoot the mother and 3 half grown but now they are adults and elusive. There are still signs though so i need to trap the buggers without catching any squirrels or hedgehogs.

I know of a lot of designs but what do you reckon is the best from your experiences? Something i can build myself quite easily and cheaply is best. I was thinking maybe some sort of pit trap with a box over the top with a hole only big enough for rats?

Thanks for any help :thumbs:

:rolleyes: Get the council or a Professional in mate. Before ye end up infested.

Now while you're right about dealing with an infestation, I don't think we should dismiss this out of hand.

If you're going to have a bird table and feed it regularly I think it's common sense to have some sort of trap in place from the off. That way you catch the first wandering rat that finds the table and it doesn't stay to breed.

I have a seesaw and a rat-box at the base of mine - they're there and part of the 'scenery' so you don't get that 'neophobia' problem.

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Fair comment, as far as it goes, John. But I do this for a living. I also feed the wild birds and have measures in place to take out the rats which are drawn. And it's an on going process.

The guy's already seeing rats. That alone shows he has " Rats ". Not just an odd one that's happened by. They need poisoning and that's best handled by someone who Really knows what they're doing. Rats on somebody elses farm can be seen as sport and a bit of fun ~ ye don't have to live alongside them that way. Rats on an average, private dwellings property? That's niether fun nor funny. It's dangerous.

By the time people mess about with Pit Fall Traps and bits of barrels? The rats will have simply continued breeding , entrenching and expanding their own territory. That involves the neighbours and who or what ever enters Their properties. Sorry; But that's just down right irresponsible. They need sorting - not playing with.

But that's just my Professional Opinion.

:rolleyes: Get the council or a Professional in mate. Before ye end up infested.
i agree i do a load of ratting with terriers we had a problem round the the gardens last year despite my best efforts with the dogs and traps could`nt shift all the b*****ds :thumbdown: then they demolished some barns at the back and here we go again :wallbash:

sorry should of added i couldn't use poison because i kept birds of prey. However my hawk sadly drowned this week so i suppose i can. Sorry i was just used to the idea of not touching poison, however my neighbour has a terrier the chances of it nabbing a poisoned rat would be quite high.

I only just moved here and there is a stream just at the end of the garden so getting rid of all the rats would be impossible, however there is nothing like an infestation i only saw them when they were young and stupid as you do, trying to get food desperately. I will see how it goes, but for now they haven't caused any grief so now is the time to act before they do.