Sorted, Thanks.

Hey guys,

As the title says, I've got a Labrador, he's only 2 and a half and I've started him with a Bisley 1lb training dummy. Only as a toy as he destroys EVERYTHING but he's taken to this like a duck to water.

He's managing to catch it mid air, retrieve it at a distance and actually drop it for me to throw again: where as usual I have to wrestle or chase him for things.

I'm looking to go for a 3lb trainer to keep him fit and use to retrieving heavier things but what other ways can I train him and get him closer to take hunting?

Also, would anyone recommend a Lab for rabbiting or just for usual gun dog work?

Thanks,

White

Edited by WhiteRabbit
  • Like 1

Well I thought I'd seek opinions from people who've experienced this and training dogs, rather than 1 book and 1 opinion/fact from it. Hence why forums exist.

I'm throwing the dummy for him, which he catches mid air, he's very alert and quick for some dogs I've seen- perhaps just full of energy for his type compared to some I've seen.

He is a pet at the end of the day and not raised any differently but the more time I spend with him with different equipment, it's helping him use his senses more and his natural ability to hunt and retrieve the things I'm using.

I know you could say it's natural for them anyway but he's only been around family and on walks with the family while we've had him.