Rimfire Ammunition

I've just recently used the last of my eley subs,

So today,whilst passing the local gun shop I decided to pop in & re-stock, I was informed about the current supply / stock and price of eley subs and the shops decision to no longer stock them....,

I was shown several other brands and two in particular caught my eye fiocchi & rws,

Both seemed to be well made and both lacked the waxy coating I've become use to..

The rws had a very thin coat of lube that seems as though I would be of benefit when loading / cycling a round and both were cheaper than the eley's which is a bonus....., I shoot an anschutz and it dosen't seem to be too brand specific so I think I may opt for a slab of the rws.,

Has anyone got any experience of these brands & there performance ?

Thanks in advance .

+1, I quite like the RWS subs very good quality ammo, I've also tried lapua subs their on par with rws for quality and accuracy. I currently use winchester subs their good but not as accurate as eley in my rifle. I'm only using winchester as I have a extraction problem with the gun but only jams with eleys. Ill change back to eley when I've used these winchesters and had the extractors changed but their still a very good round, plenty accurate for rabbits.

Give them a go mate if they stock them their also normally cheaper than rws, lapua and eley

Edited by shropshire dan

+1, I quite like the RWS subs very good quality ammo, I've also tried lapua subs their on par with rws for quality and accuracy. I currently use winchester subs their good but not as accurate as eley in my rifle. I'm only using winchester as I have a extraction problem with the gun but only jams with eleys. Ill change back to eley when I've used these winchesters and had the extractors changed but their still a very good round, plenty accurate for rabbits.

Give them a go mate if they stock them their also normally cheaper than rws, lapua and eley

Lapua are my personal favourite now sold as SK and production moved to Germany I think, just that the OP never mentioned them in as a possible they can be also be a bit on the pricey side

to be honest i just use Remington six odd quid a hundred as im not looking at shooting more than 50yrd, yes they are a harder compound and penetrate more than the rest, but at subby ranges a vital spot should be hit near enough every time,

Are they the Thunderbolts Paulus.

I've used some federal match 40g solids to great effect, must be clean head shot with them though as they do tend to over penetrate

no just bog standard remmy subbies but i have some stingers and yellow jackets here too

I've tried stingers as I had a few off a mate, didn't like them all bang no consistency imo. Ill be happy monday when I get the HMR for a little extra reach ;)

to be honest had two 17`s a 452 american when they first came out and an arnie 1517 thumb-hole sold both :angel:

Thanks for all the replies.....

I think ill give the rws a try, at first glance they seem to be a reasonable round and there cheap enough when compared to other brands..., the local gun shop is only a matter of minutes away from me so although I could potentially source other brands the convenience also points me towards using them.

Thanks for your input :)

This only reason I'm getting the hmr is I havnt yet been approved for CF and I have charlie on the hmr. Will be handy for shy rabbits in daylight though ;)

The HMR is not a true foxing rifle (though can be employed just like the .22lr and even better the more powerfull .22 WMR), did you apply for a small centrefire for fox and get declined?