Have been doing bit of reading on this rifle and am tempted by it. I would be getting one 2nd hand doing 18ft lbs .22 (will be checking over chrony) I know its heavy but what are the other advantages and disadvantages with this gun or the gas ram system?

Will the internals be alright having run at this energy?

What do I look out for before buying the gun?

Definately doing that I'm returning an original I got last week that was doing 6ft lbs rather than the stated 18 my fault for not cheking but the dealer is taking it back. He had an hw90 aswell but I chose the original due to weight but now I had change of heart and think id be better with a gas ram over a springer?

Best break barrel available, in my opinion. I've had mine since 1997 and the only problem I've ever had with it was it leaked a little air after a two year lay off. They don't like being left idle for long periods.

Mine's sub 12 in .20 caliber and is as sweet as you like. Silky smooth, low recoil and very quiet for a springer. A friend of mine has one on ticket that shoots at around 20ft-lbs (.22) and even at that power there's not much more recoil than mine and still very smooth and easy to get on with.The most noticeable difference is that his is a lot harder to cock than mine. 20ft-lbs, from what I can gather, is about as high as you want to go. I've heard reports of piston seals failing when taken much higher and I would imagine that cocking the thing would be a real workout.

As for it's age, there should be a serial number stamped on the bottom of the barrel. Email this to Hull Cartridge Co. and they should be able to tell you.

Best break barrel available, in my opinion. I've had mine since 1997 and the only problem I've ever had with it was it leaked a little air after a two year lay off. They don't like being left idle for long periods.

Howdid you fix this I suspect that the one I'm looking at hasn't had much use

Howdid you fix this I suspect that the one I'm looking at hasn't had much use

At the time, I didn't have access to a pump so my local gunshop topped it back up for me. Since then me and my mate have cobbled up a suitable pump using a bicycle shock pump with the correct adapters for the 90.