Hawks Over Plummers

Monkeyjax

Monkeyjax,I agree with most of the replies so far about dogs for jobs but a well bred Plummer is capable of bushing to a hawk,I've kept birds of prey since I was 13yrs old and always had a dog of some sort including,pointers,lurchers and Plummers,I got my first Plummers in 1979 and providing you get a young bird to man then introducing a dog of any type needs to be done as early as possible,you will also need to introduce ferrets at this time,I use white ferrets only with hawks as its easier,you will require good obedience from your Plummer but they are intelligent dogs capable of differentiating between out bushing with lurchers,shooting,terrierwork and being out with the hawk,your choice of Plummer blood is as important as your hawk,my plummers will mark holes but do not enter untill told or commanded to "move on".I hunt in Cheshire and have badger sets on most hedges so control is a must, I would never use my Plummers with an adult hawk thats never seen them before as its a disaster waiting to happen,I know a few lads that have used terriers for bushing to hawks and barring the odd incident have had years of fun flying over them,they are better than pointers and vizlas at heavy cover on the rabbits,if you are looking to buy a dog just for hawking then a HPR is the route for you not a plummer especially on open land,good luck, WM

ZIPPY and I 014.jpg

scans 025.jpg

my lad Tom and Harriss

CSC_3371.JPG

DSC_3293.jpg

DSC_3364.jpg

Hi WC,

I've often thought of flying a Redtail at squirrels. I've also thought something like a Plummer might be a good dog to use for finding the squirrels (i think in the states they have something called a fiest hound or something they use.which is not UN-terrier like). But I also understand that plummers are feisty and prey driven. So I've often thought that if the RT nailed a squirrel and brought it to the woodland floor. The terrier would be there soon after. The terrier wouldn't be able to resist getting "stuck in!". Which I would imagine can only end up in a dead hawk. What would be your opinion?

Shame I can't see your pictures.

Edited by Allan.A