shoots cancelled

my sister inlaw has just come in and said her sisters shoots have all been cancelled due to ticks ? she said there has been 2 or 3 in the dundee area cancelled from what she said a deer was found or shot and it had 1000's of ticks on it any one heard anything ?

my sister inlaw has just come in and said her sisters shoots have all been cancelled due to ticks ? she said there has been 2 or 3 in the dundee area cancelled from what she said a deer was found or shot and it had 1000's of ticks on it any one heard anything ?

im not far from there... cant see it myself... presume there on about grouse days...if the chicks get covered in tick it will kill them, but they will of done there counts ages ago :hmm:

I can well believe it...i've pulled more ticks of my dogs this summer than ever before. Pulled 4 off one terrier today and one of another. The spaniel's had loads. On one moor during one day i took 15 off it that hadn't dug in. I took 3 off it the following day that had. It does make me wonder if there is any correllation between wild bird numbers and the cessation of the traditional sheep dip :hmm:

I can well believe it...i've pulled more ticks of my dogs this summer than ever before. Pulled 4 off one terrier today and one of another. The spaniel's had loads. On one moor during one day i took 15 off it that hadn't dug in. I took 3 off it the following day that had. It does make me wonder if there is any correllation between wild bird numbers and the cessation of the traditional sheep dip :hmm:

T F i was trying to say that it would of been cancelled a month or so ago after the grouse counts were done, as they will then have a good idea on what numbers of young birds have survived the rain and tick etc......

I understood what you mean't Ali...the counts on the moors i go on are taken at the end of July. On one place they were even taking blood samples after each drive from old and young birds. Maybe the shoots talked about do late counts, or maybe they shot and the numbers weren't there or the old to young ratio wasn't good :hmm:

I use something similar to this HTC http://www.shop-com.co.uk/O_Tom_Tick_Remov...ml?sourceid=309 hook the tick and turn the remover...quick and easy.

just come of phone to sister inlaw apparently a stag was found to have thousands of ticks on it and there birds are not eating so some scientist is doing tests ,she said that they are putting salt licks out for the deer and shoots have been cancelled but not sure if whole season ,to be honest she was not sure of all the details and is going to get back with the exact story ,teckel may kinow more as he knows the lass that keepers the place