Breeding Lurchers

I have been wading through the various on crossing a grey/whippet with different breeds.

But I was wondering how reliable crossing (for example say) a bull grey with a bull grey is? Are you getting back dogs of the same build, ability etc or are they likely to throw back to being more bull or greyhound?

I know some of it is down to temperament of the dog.

Edited by Tozer
  • Like 1

you've kind of answered it there, a 3/4 grey 1/4 bullx can be good dogs, but crossing two of the same doesn't necessarily produce the same standard, hence crossing in something lighter like a whippetx etc.

I have been wading through the various on crossing a grey/whippet with different breeds.

But I was wondering how reliable crossing (for example say) a bull grey with a bull grey is? Are you getting back dogs of the same build, ability etc or are they likely to throw back to being more bull or greyhound?

I know some of it is down to temperament of the dog.

Bull Grey to Bull grey or second gen bull grey's usually shape up better than their first cross parents. That said, not even first crosses throw 50/50 anyway. All lurcher crosses in truth are 'variables' but different shapes suit different folks. Ensuring parents are good enough to breed from and choosing the right pup out of a litter is more important...

Thanks, it is something I don't really know about. I am looking at pups at the minute and I just thought I'd ask.

I was thinking that looking at 8 week old pups, it might not be reliable to go on the parents as the throw backs could be a bit hit and miss later in life and you can't really gauge that at 8 weeks.

Thanks, it is something I don't really know about. I am looking at pups at the minute and I just thought I'd ask.

I was thinking that looking at 8 week old pups, it might not be reliable to go on the parents as the throw backs could be a bit hit and miss later in life and you can't really gauge that at 8 weeks.

if you pick from worker to worker ya will be just fine mate