Choc Lab Pup

Alrate fellas

just put a deposit down for a choc lab pup. Its from a friends bitch. Mother n father both good pedigree (to the man on the street or novice like me) and the father is used for working.

she will be my first lab but having a wife and a young daughter she wont be an out and out gun dog due to the misus and the little un petting her and also family life reducing chances for working her. I would however like her to do a bit of flushing and retrieveing on the small bits of permission i have.

As i said i am a novice with the gun dog side, i have dogs already so know how to fetch a puppy up and basic training etc but is there anything i need to be careful with. I.e. i have been told not to let her have squeeky toys if i want her to retrieve without crushing the kill.

I am planning on training her on her own, without the other dogs there basically to focus her attention, i also plan on walking her alone until im happy with where she is at. However she will be kept with the other dogs (westies) in the house.

also any tips on any do's/dont's for advancing her training would be great.

cheers in advance

ry

doesnt matter if there pets mate mines a pet and was coming on brilliant best thing to do is start traing straight off just with recall and sit and stay then as gets few week older start getting it retrieving then after jabs and your walking it already has the basics its not as complicated as you think mate t mine was retrieving fur and feather from 6 month mate never used dummies only game pheasnts partridge pidgeon and rabbits was steady as a rock aswell on whistle then got ran over now has a smashed pelvis and is struggling to get about

Edited by andy97

Cheers for that andy. Sorry to hear about your dog being run over. Must be devastating that. Did you do any flushing with him? I know how to train basics, recall sit stay etc and i am expecting she will naturally want to retrieve with it being in her breeding but i am hoping to get her working the rough and hedgerows for me. Ideally would like her on hand signals eventually so i could send her out into a field a distance away back across to come inline with me and flush back towards me but im not sure if that will be a step to far given the limited shooting oportunities.