About An Old Post On Lines

Joonsy

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/topic/33724-cotton-bands/

regarding above post

Apologies for resurrecting such an old post if irritating to members (was looking through some old posts).A great many years ago, pre-synthetic days, yes many longnets were hemp or linen fitted with 2-3mm cotton running lines. There was a hollow braid cotton cord which was sold under the name ‘’Cotton Banding’’. Describing running lines as ‘’Bands’’ is just a corruption of the proper name ‘’Cotton Banding’’ I would think. I used that cord myself, when new it would stretch a lot for first few uses and then settle down and stop doing so I found. I know personally that many years ago it was a slang word used for lines on the North Wales/North Shropshire border. Local dialect use different slang for same names of course, however it is likely that ‘’Bands’’ is a corruption of the name of the cord used back then which was ‘’Cotton Banding’’, it was not a corruption of the word ‘Bant’ as you suggest, ‘Bant’ was slang for beating up, other areas say ‘Bont’. Sorry to bore members with trivia.