Springer Training Advice

Had been training springer myself up until about 2 months ago. Although she was doing ok, started using a trainer to try and tidy / sharpen things up. Problem now is that when I take her to a lesson she isn't doing as she is ask. So have been told just to go back to basics. However when training at home she will do the basics, and retrieve, and hunt when asked.

Could it be that she is getting bored at a lesson because she is been made to sit and stay repeatedly. I know the obedience has got to be spot on, but is taking the fun training away from the dog causing the problem. The other thing is she is very wary of getting to close to the trainer.

Thing is if you've had success training her yourself and she does everything you need why involve a trainer?

Clearly she doesn't like it so I wouldn't carry on as she may see it as some kind of punishment and close down. My spaniels the same I learned if I am too forceful with him he just shuts down lays on the ground, but he is a fantastic dog with bags of drive and enthusiasm I just needed to understand how to get the best out of him.

If she is tuning you out in his environment I would have issues with that

If she is wary of him and not expressing herself that would strike me as her acting on her instincts , fear based , a dog in that frame of mind is completely untrainable

she is also picking up on your discomfort in the situation

You can't train a dog unless the dog is relaxed and feels safe anything else and you'll only end up pulling your hair out

Best of luck