Definition Of Hard Mouthed

I would say yes but is it because the bird was pricked? was it a large bird?

My 8 year old labradoodle dog found a really strong runner a few weeks back and retrieved it dead and well bitten a thing he had never done before and I was a bit shocked but when I looked at the circumstances it may have contributed a lot too the end result.

The bird was hiding in a pile of brash in an 8 foot sided ditch the water was up to his neck and he could only move forward over and through this pile of twigs and water. The bird, a big cock pheasant made a break for it and I think out of desperation he crunched it rather than lose it. Since then he has picked loads of birds with no bother.

My 4 year old lurcher retrieves well but crunches everything but she is a cracking little dog and as im not selling rabbits she will do for me

• 2 weeks later...

What's classed as a hard mouthed dog? I was out shooting ducks and my spaniel brought a runner back that had puncture marks on it this happens now and again when he is retrieving but not all the time is this hard mouthed?

A very interesting subject,

What a lot of everyday working dog people class as "hard mouth" is something what is physically observed,but this can also be the case on game that to the eye looks perfect.

Either way,if the game is for your own consumption, concern should not be to much unless the dog is absolutely mincing the bird !

My own understanding of hard mouth,even when the bird looks ok,is when the chest cavity is caved in ! this is easily felt if the cavity has no spring to it upon feeling,along the lines of broken ribs,imagine that it is unable to support the vital organs .

When i am picking up and especially with runners i inspect the majority of birds returned to hand,firstly for the area of the shot impact and secondly the chest cavity.

Another observation to consider is how the bird falls,only yesterday i marked down a bird that crashed into a tree,which on it`s retrieval,i noticed the chest cavity had a 3" split in it..so thats more food for thought,the speed and fall of birds

Regarding your dog Blakloks marking the Duck,i would do exactly what some one else as suggested and skin the bird..teeth marks are different to pellet

size..

Stick in..and season`s greetings to ya all...