Deerhound Vs Staghound

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The door is always open boys. I never read the thread cuz it was comical to me but yall can come see the difference anytime ya unto.       Not the Deerhounds of old though. Sorry to come off

Posted Images

this is there son he had great straight line speed but couldnt stick to the smaller dogs on the turns i bred him with a salukix greyhound bitch and got some great pups. some turned out to big for what i want but one of the bitch pups is probly the fastest dog i have seen run shes a realy smart handy dog

post-746-1189824675.jpg

Edited by Staghound

Hey Staghound did you breed the salukixgreyhound? how was/is it on the foxes? There's hardly any of them over here i've only seen one, it looked like a very fast dog. I just wish i new a bit more about them back then because i would have bought it. Did you sell all the pups? Got any pics???

best fox and deer dog i have ever seen was a saluki x greyhound (actually 3/8 saluki and 5/8 greyhound - a reverse 3/4 saluki / 1/4 greyhound sire over a pure greyhound bitch) my brother owned this saluki cross, this was before the ban in the uk,

an uncle of mine has had several grey x deerhounds, one was the biggest running dogs i have ever seen and was massive i cant remember his height but he used to retrieve foxes :doh: even jumping gates back to you with the fox in his mouth, he also had a deerhound/grey bitch, and both of these dogs brought down the bigger game

Any way on a direct comparison the saluki hybrid was a better fox dog than the deerhound crosses, so good in fact that my uncle wanted to use him over the deerhound x (staghound to you foreigners) bitch that he had, sadly he wasn't as good with the ladies as he was with foxes,hares and deer and she never took :no:

If you can get a good saluki cross you wont be dissapointed, they are lightly built and not as heavy as a deerhound or a bull cross, but they can run fast for a long time and when they need to they hit hard and bite hard too :D

blb im the salukis 3rd owner she was bred in tassy and i got her when she was about 2 or 3yo shes an alright fox dog not great tho after about 3 or 4 foxs she gets soft. i dont run her much anymore now as she has broken her leg twice chasing deer. she has a very light frame she 24" and 22 kg were as my deer x grey is 24" 33 kg. she the only one ive ever seen any were here and im thinking about looking for a male bred the same as they have alot of good trats. i kept 4 of the pups for 12 months and got them all hunting then sold 1 of the bitches that ended up being about 28" or 29" and kept 2 bitches and a male

post-746-1189846417.jpg

B.L.B. the dog was born on the 21st October 2006, making him roughly 11 months old. yer your not wrong. i cannot wait to get him going. i know that he's good with horses, as hes been bred on a place with horses, and our neighbours have horses - he takes no notice. hes shit scared of our cattle, as they chase him?? not knowing what the hell he is obviously. we also have 2 sheep which he has only seen whilst on a lead. he stared them off. there's one animal in the family im conserned about. we have a siamese cat that he loves to track whenever he sees her. he's not yet harmed her in any way though. im hoping that she must look a it like a fox to him!!! thanks for your reply B.L.B :victory:

B.L.B. the dog was born on the 21st October 2006, making him roughly 11 months old. yer your not wrong. i cannot wait to get him going. i know that he's good with horses, as hes been bred on a place with horses, and our neighbours have horses - he takes no notice. hes shit scared of our cattle, as they chase him?? not knowing what the hell he is obviously. we also have 2 sheep which he has only seen whilst on a lead. he stared them off. there's one animal in the family im conserned about. we have a siamese cat that he loves to track whenever he sees her. he's not yet harmed her in any way though. im hoping that she must look a it like a fox to him!!! thanks for your reply B.L.B :victory:

this is my bitch deerhound from deernbull kennels i also have a whippet/bull x stag and a stag/greyhound both caught quicker but neither killed as efficient

Hey Skippy. sorry, mabye there was something wrong with my PC, but the photo never appeared. i got the feeling from your message above that there should be one there!! my dogs from Mapleridge and Belaiche Kennels, near Moe, Vic :victory:

Edited by holy grail

Its not just you HG sippy has trouble with photos some times.

I have hunted my stags with sippies dogs and I have a great respect for the deerhounds, my stags are faster of the mark which does make for shorter runs, but on a big open place were the game might have a big start the deerhounds come into their own. They gobble up the ground with their long strids and leave all others in their wake.

Stevemac

Its not just you HG sippy has trouble with photos some times.

I have hunted my stags with sippies dogs and I have a great respect for the deerhounds, my stags are faster of the mark which does make for shorter runs, but on a big open place were the game might have a big start the deerhounds come into their own. They gobble up the ground with their long strids and leave all others in their wake.

Stevemac

yer that sounds logical. but that means that the deerhound will be heaps better than stags for me. most of my hunting with dogs is done through flushing swamps and timber areas. most foxes are seen a fair way in front. the stags dont have any trouble, but i reckon Hal (the dog) will carve them up once he gets into it. we also use jack russells for dens which creates a bit of suspense amongst the group. thanks for your reply Stevemac :victory:

Thats Ok HG what area are you from. By the way sippy usually spells his name with a K. LOL My son has spent most nights down at a hobby farm near here lately busting foxes with the staghounds. The owner is very happy as he hasn't lost a lamb to foxes this year. he is essecialy impressed the way the dogs can work right through the sheep and not take any notice to them. I know this isnt very special to any one running their dogs around sheep but is to a fella that has lost sheep to town dogs and usually hates all dogs. pays to put the time in A.

STEVEMAC

Thats Ok HG what area are you from. By the way sippy usually spells his name with a K. LOL My son has spent most nights down at a hobby farm near here lately busting foxes with the staghounds. The owner is very happy as he hasn't lost a lamb to foxes this year. he is essecialy impressed the way the dogs can work right through the sheep and not take any notice to them. I know this isnt very special to any one running their dogs around sheep but is to a fella that has lost sheep to town dogs and usually hates all dogs. pays to put the time in A.

STEVEMAC

Skippy... yer rightio. i must have been half asleep. i hunt both on bikes and utes. we flush swamps with dogs both in the swamp and also positioned on thev outside. a few years back out and Balldale NSW, we flushed an 850acre swamp and got 26. but we reckon we lost that amount aswell as we didnt have enough dogs and the foxes just kept darting back in around us. my hunting is done around the Coreen area. its always a good day out with friends. :victory:

Hi HG

thats a good hall of foxes and a good day out what were you using to do the flushing I use to keep a coulpe of fox hounds for that job they seemed to work well. made anywhere pretty uncomfortable for any game to stay. A hall like that would have put a smile on the Cockies dial.

Stevemac