Roe Antler Knife Handle??

My lad has just got a little roe antler, he really wants it made into a handle for a small knife for him, I'm not the most crafty person in world and only own the basic tools, so anybody talk me through how to do it? Or have any ideas as to much it would cost to have it done? I'd rather do it with him tbh but if it's a ball ache I don't mind paying somebody lol we ain't even got the blade to use with it yet, but I just want to know what I'll need an how to do it before I start getting tools out, so come on all you blue Peter fans, somebody give us an idiot's guide to putting an antler on a knife lol

Edited by Hot Meat

hm you can do it with basick tools do you wont it drilling then the knife put in that way or do you have a full tang knife i have a full tang knife hear its small enough for a roe antler if you cut the antler for each side the knife needs going over with sand paper and then heat treating £14 posted that could be a starter knife ? its made from carbon steel so they do rust just like the opinal do but if you oil it it should be fine

• Like 2

A quick easy way to make one is to buy the hultafors version of a basic mora, just as good and cheaper, for £3.50. Use vice, hammer and chisel to knock off the plastic handle leaving you with a good blade with a stick tang. Drill out the antler to take the tang of the blade and fix in with two part epoxy resin. Bit of shaping and sanding and you're done.

These were done with blades from midnight and red deer antler, to be honest though I prefer the hultafors blades as they aren't so thick.

post-10910-0-65285300-1383502954_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

If just been told if I soak antler the middle will go soft enough to steadily use force an push a tang of blade right inside it, and when left to dry it will set? Sounds too easy that??? Gaffer I've told my lad he can choose his own blade seeing as its for him, so I'll let him have a look around and see if anything takes his fancy thanks anyways I may be in touch at some point for blade or a sheath, I think blade will have to be small tho as the little antler ain't very big, I'll get some pics up and see what folk think, in reality I've got till crimbo to get it done, he can have it as a stocking filler

Edited by Hot Meat
  • 1 month later...

Like Tyla says mate, you may get a better blade if you use a hultafors or mora knife and take the blade out. I'd pay the extra couple of quid and go for a mora if it was me though. hultafors are ok but chinese made and not as good a quality blade. Mora are made in sweden and are truly spectacular quality for the money (I should know, we sell them both :laugh: )

Either that or if your lad want a folder, why not try the same sort of simple design as the Svord Peasant knife? Non locking and very simple. All you'd need would be a swivel pin for the blade. This is they; http://sportingcutlery.co.uk/knives/knives-by-manufacturer/svord.html sorry for the plug :whistling: . Seriously though, you can get them from loads of places and for 15 quid, I don't think you can go wrong. I have one with me whenever I'm out because I think they're great!

ATB and post some pics when it's done!

Sam