My boss has just bought his 3rd Amazon, dont know why though! he swopped his BEAUTIFUL Lexus RX300 SEL for it. Bad swop in my eyes, Amazon is a lovely motor, but its looks are very dated and the ORANGE PLASTIC wood inside is horrible.

Dawn.

• 2 years later...

my mate bought a brand new one last year, within 2 months head gasket blew, new one fitted & head skimmed, then brake discs warped withing 4000mls & then his electric windows started to play up :cry: , he partXed it within 10months & now has Nissan Warrior pickup

If you do a search in google you'll see the problems with the early freelanders,,design flaw with the head gasket.Although im told the Td4/td5 versions are much much better...Stay clear of the petrol K series engines,,the same engine used in other rover cars.. :thumbs:

have a disco td5 for 4 years now. the only thing was it was used in the city alot, and the clutch was a little on the heavy side so i changed it. regular service at 8000 for me, i know this sounds mad but i never had a days bother with it since........past the four year mark now.. still no problems.

So take your time when buying and you will find great discos out there...... :thumbs: Again stay away from the early freelanders.......my friend had one, back window always gave bother, two clutches, gearbox, electrical problems galore, :thumbs:

Guest rexdigger

dont bother with landrover a lot of money for nowt theyre all crap i have had a few in my time and would not drive another one as long as i live i now drive a nissan navara doublecab not that dear but far better than a landy :D:D

We have had 2 Freelanders in the past. The first an ex demmo 1.8 petrol on a 1998 R reg, 5 door. This was the onw with the Rover K series engine problems, not that they had come about by then. Once the problem started it became a BIG problem. We ended up having a later non K series engine put in instead by our LR dealer and the car was great untill it met a nasty end with an Argos HGV!

The second was an 04 (I think) on a private plate with a Td4 engine, this was a three door commercial, and was a little cracker.

Both were very comfortable to drive, more car like than a tall 4x4 and much more capable off road than people give them credit for. Ok, the ground clearance wasn't fantastic but with the right tyres on they did the job.

Having a look at the newer model, I think its a nice looking car but a little too plush to be used for work. The benefit of the older Freelander was that it could be used for work and pleasure.

dont bother with landrover a lot of money for nowt theyre all crap i have had a few in my time and would not drive another one as long as i live i now drive a nissan navara doublecab not that dear but far better than a landy :D:D

Some one told me a while back that the Nissan navara's don't actually have diff lock,,,is there any truth in this :hmm:

As a mechanis, stay well clear, head gaskets, head gaskets, head gaskets.

Land Rover released the Freebie (as it's now termed 'cos you get it free with a bag of crisps!) with over 58 known problems.

Absolute crap, you cant even sell the spares!

If you definately want a Land Rover, go for a proper one - Defender, sound, robust, if you bend it/break it/smash it - replace it!

Just my two penneth mind, being an ex disco owner, now having a 90 that I converted to 200tdi.

Well a couple of months ago we bought a freelander, and apart from the hand brake which was broken when we bought it we havn't had any problems with it. i absolutely love the car, i just hope it continues to work well. but from what i hear the future doesn't look to bright. :blink: