Lighting For Freerange Outdoor Roosting Birds

I live where nothing preys on my birds, so they are just freeranged in a fenced in yard, and they roost up on top of the pen surrounding their nesting boxes. I've never put lights out for them due to not really knowing HOW to set up lights for that type of outdoor situation. Would like winter eggs and I'm short about 2 hours only. Any suggestions? I only have a dozen birds now, but am adding another dozen soon.

Gain your daylight in the morning have lights set up on a timer. If it gets light at 7am set the lights to come on at 4.30am and then as soon as its light set the timer to turn them off. Then as I said in a different thread your birds will still roost because it'll go dark gradually. A couple of halogen yard lights directed on to the pen should do the trick.

• Like 1

Just like outdoor flood lights with white bulbs? I've always used red for my inside birds, is that not necessary though? Thank you!

im sure flood lights would work. id go with white bulbs and not red tho (jmo).my old man uses just a normal house hold extension light for his pigeons.........a couple of flood lights set on timers should do the trick .

• 5 weeks later...