Mtc Range Ao For Range Finding

Hi guys,

I'm looking at going down the mtc range for a new scope (my range finder broke and its under warranty so now I have some money I'm tempted to upgrade my scope and do away with the range finder)

I currently have a nikko sterling mountmaster which I have to zero every single time I go down (not saying this is a bad thing at all) but what annoys me is that I hardly bump my rifle and it results me spending half an hour each hunting lesson refining my zero as its well off. For example two days ago I went down and it resulted in 10 clicks right and 5 up.... Believe me when I say I treat my 200 as if its made if glass.

What I'm planning on doing is getting an MTC viper, but I'm wondering how accurate you can use the AO on it for range finding, as this is what I would prefer to do. More directed towards HFT lads than anything...

Thanks in advance

Craig

Hi guys,

I'm looking at going down the mtc range for a new scope (my range finder broke and its under warranty so now I have some money I'm tempted to upgrade my scope and do away with the range finder)

I currently have a nikko sterling mountmaster which I have to zero every single time I go down (not saying this is a bad thing at all) but what annoys me is that I hardly bump my rifle and it results me spending half an hour each hunting lesson refining my zero as its well off. For example two days ago I went down and it resulted in 10 clicks right and 5 up.... Believe me when I say I treat my 200 as if its made if glass.

What I'm planning on doing is getting an MTC viper, but I'm wondering how accurate you can use the AO on it for range finding, as this is what I would prefer to do. More directed towards HFT lads than anything...

Thanks in advance

Craig

You won't be able to use the AO for range finding on HFT anyway, you can't touch the scope. Other than having it set so that it blurs slightly at 12 yards and 40 yards like I have my sidewinder set up.

When trying a bit of FT, I had my scope up to 20x and it still wouldn't range find very well. That's why all the shooters say you need at least 30x to range find accurately.

Simon

• 4 weeks later...

Agreed with all the above. For hunting magnifications, your DOF at 8x or 10x is too great for accurate rangefinding using AO.

Your best best if you want to use your scope to range is to learn the scope. You can use the mildots at a fixed mag to determine approx quarry size and therefore distance (bracketing). You can also get a rough idea based on using a fixed AO distance - say your zero. If the image is sharp, its crosshairs. Then depending on the amount of blur, you know how far away it is.

These skills take time to practice, but work very well. It is what we use during HFT as the rules say we cant touch the scope. As HFT is there to simulate hunting, most shoot at 8x or 10x mag to perfect these skills.

When hunting, you can use these to get an approximation and then use the AO to check, but I wouldnt trust the AO on any of the scopes I have owned to give me an exact distance. Prefer to use my Hawke rangefinder.

Here are a couple of good links that you may find helpful:

http://www.anstonftc.co.uk/hft-range-finding-with-scope-parallax/

http://www.anstonftc.co.uk/hft-mildots/

Tim

hmm range finding, i've used a 10-50x60 and they do work, but it varies fron 1 to 3 yards accuracy, depending on the light.

if you do go that way you may as well get a set of dial markers too, its very cushty tbh...range it, dial it in..and wack it lol.

(starts to range find ish at 30 mag plus...so i'm not to confident abiout claims of 16mag or below beying yard by yard focusing..unless i see it like..)

• 5 weeks later...

I am watching a video of Field Target and they say the scope helps to work out the distance to target using a big wheel on the left side control on the scope. My question was how do you tell calculate the distance? I am new and have not encountered this before and wondered if I could avoid buying a laser range finder and instead invest in a better scope.

Any help, however technical, would be appreciated but bear in mind I am new and may not be aware of acronyms etc.

Thank in advance.

Oh and if there is someone or somewhere else I can get this info please let me know.

most scopes vary a bit on the numbers printed on the wheel, so what you do is set up markers at 5 yard interveils from 0-55yards, so 5,10,15.....45,50,55 yards

then you put some tape on the flat face of the big side wheel, tape you can right on, and a perminant marker pen.

then you veiw at 55 yards on 50 mag and focus it, mark off 55 yards on the tape, then you veiw your nearest mark (usualy you'll only see at 10-12 yards) and focus and mark the tape, then 50, then 15, then 45 then 20.

you do it this was because your eye can change focus a bit if you continuly veiw and change focus, your eye also adjusts, then later the marks would be off, so nearest farthers, oposites if you like untill you get to the middle marker.

google a little further on making turret tops, because after you've marked the tape on the side wheel you do three shots at each target at each range and mark the turret top off.(take your time, let your eye out of the scope each time so it soesnt adjust with the side wheel.) when you've market the 5 yard adjustments on the turret you simply veiw on 50 mag, read the distance, and twisle your elevasion to that distance and the cross hairs are always on target. they call it dialing in.

VERY IMPORTANT..............ALWAYS PUT YOUR TURRET TO ZERO AGAIN..........unless you have a big enough turret top..

edit..change your zero and you'll have to mark up fresh on the turrets again.(but the distance on the parralex wheel should be the same).

Edited by ghillies