Is It Cheaper To Reload 12 Gauge

as the title says, is it cheaper to reload 12 gauge shot gun cartridges, or is it cheaper to just buy them.

I reload .303 for my dad and that works out a lot cheaper and a lot more accurate. I know accuracy probably wont be affected with shot gun cartridges though, but will it save money?

Simple answer NO, only starts to make fiscal sense for 'odd ball' shot sizes, and big/small bores (i.e. 410 or 8/10 bore).

That said I load all my own 12g Fox shells using home cast AAA shot.

I have been loading my own centrefire ammo for years, and started shotshells more out of interest than necessity.

I have a Lee Loadall but I don't use the crimper, I use a rolled turn over tool, as the crimps my loadall makes are a

bit oversize and the finished shells don't drop into the gun chambers, they have to be pushed in lightly. This has no effect

on the cartridge they work fine, but I don't like it.

Also I now always use new cases, not reloaded fired ones, the reloads are ok but the new cases are better, and they are cheap as

chips.

AndyF

Sorry Andy i do not agree with you i make all my own shotgun cartridges size 7... 28grm for clay shooting and size 6 .....30 grms for pigeons and also crows..

We make all our own shot and my mate has costed it out it only costs us just over £100 per 1,000..

The trick is make your own shot all the lead is given to us from a mate who is a roofer we then add antimony to harder the shot..

Cases we get from the clay grounds free.........primers we buy in bulk 10,000 at a time wads we buy 10,000 a time thats between 2 of us and powder we buy in 20 kilo tubs

so if you buy in bulk it can save you a lot of cash.. :tongue2::tongue2::laugh:

Forgot to add my mate uses a ponsness warren and i use a Mec 9000 g and can knock 300 + per hour easy...

Edited by Hawkeye 1

OK Hawkeye, point taken, but free lead, a shot maker and a 'proper' multi station loading press are not a given for most people, leave alone the set up cost.

I think the original poster would be using a 'normal' amount of shells (maybe 200/400 a year maximum), so under those (and my) circumstances

reloading 12g shotshells is simply not 'cheaper' than buying factory loads even when you buy 2 boxes of 25 at a time. Probably take you 10 years to cover

the cost of the reloading gear.

More fun, a good way to learn and understand ammunition and ballistics yes, the best angle I find is loading shells that cannot be bought, i.e. 3,5" Magnum

with a full load of No 9 shot!

I reload for the quality of the components and in Rifle ammo precision and repeatability not cost.

CHEERS

AndyF

Hi Andy i can see your point if i was only using a few 100 per year it would not be economical to reload except for the pleasure but i use a few 1000 shells per year..

My MEC 9000 cost me £300 from the states (second hand ) postage was included (£100) in the £300..that was about 2009..

As you say you can get a lot of pleasure reloading your own... We have the advantage that there are 3 of us so we can buy in bulk that can give you a good saving...

Like you i also reload my C/F rifles 223 and 243 and they are more accurate than factory rounds ... :thumbs::boogy: