What exactly is this bird thing? Do you guys just go out, catch a load of wild birds and stick them in an aviary? Is it legal? Sorry if this is a stupid question but i don't get what you lot are doing with the birds? Is it tag and release?

Those of us who keep native birds keep captive bred ones,the trapping of wild birds is a big no no and highly illegal unless you are a licensed bird ringer then you are allowed to catch wild birds for ringing and recording ring data if it is rung allready then they release them.Our captive bred birds are rung as very young chicks (less than a week old in most cases) and this is ment to HELP prove our birds are captive bred,our rings are closed rings or complete without a split in them so they can't be put on adult birds.Wild bird ringers use a different type of ring and a look back through some pages will find both posts from myself and Outlaw Pete on how we ring our birds.I myself keep my birds because they please me and i love the fact i'm lucky enough to be able to watch mating,nest building and rearing of chicks a few feet from my window and what we are doing with them (and i will talk for us all here) is plain and simply enjoying them mate :thumbs: .

• Like 7

What we are doing with them (and i will talk for us all here) is plain and simply enjoying them mate :thumbs: .

Absolutely! :clapper: I've actually just stepped back in here from ringing and processing a glorious little male chaffinch. I don't keep native birds. It wouldn't look too good.

Because I'm a trained and licensed Ringer, working for the BTO to provide my share of the data they use to figure out all manner of things about wild bird populations.

And ye couldn't enjoy a bird much more than I've just done :D I actually have far nicer conversations with 'my' birds than I do with most people. I really enjoy chatting to them and explaining what's going on and how no one's going to harm them.

Would ye believe different species have very distinct characters and will virtually all behave true to their species? Great tits will shout and scream and do their level best to peck your hand to death. They get furious! :laugh:

Finches don't say a word. They don't peck or make any fuss. It's all I can do not to kiss their little heads! Endearing little things.

My favourite is the pied wagtail. They'll sort of watch ye putting the ring on. I think they even like to see what ye write in the log book. It's almost as if ye could put them down on the side, as ye write their notes up, and they'd walk about and wait for ye to weigh them :laugh:

Oh, and I've held a tree creeper in my hands! :toast: That, in itself, is worth all the blood, sweat and tears ~ not to mention the not inconsiderable personal, financial outlay that goes into getting to where I'm at now ~ worth it all. I am So f**king privileged to be able to do what I do.

Or, as Fireman so rightly said; We enjoy birds :yes:

• Like 6